should I get a Rekluse

62 replies to this topic
  • BergArabia

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:57 AM

I am thinking of ordering one for my 05 YZ450.
I ride only in dunes.
I was also wondering if I do should I get the perch adjuster.

Sorry about the search I did a search in fact but wanted a more specific answer for my kind of riding.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted September 08, 2006 - 06:13 AM

yes, and while your at it get one for me. :applause:

I've wanted one for some time but it's hard to make that purchase when money is tight. I've heard they are amazing and perfect for trail riding a YZ...or any riding for that matter.

I'd get one if i had the cash. :thumbsup:

• TD-3

Posted September 08, 2006 - 06:49 AM

That's a tough call....

I have one on my 450 and I love it for trail riding, but I'm not sure if I'd like, or want one for dune riding. I tried the perch adjuster and could not get it to work as well as the standard spring setup. The motor mounted spring has a much more smooth/consistant feel to it. Once dialed in it's a "set it and forget it" deal.

JMO

• yz_for_me

Posted September 08, 2006 - 09:06 AM

The Rekluse is an awsome product for tight/techinical trails but for dune riding I don't know that I would spend the money. I'm sure it would still work just fine, but I don't know that you would see much of a benefit from it. That's my .02.

• Dano426

Posted September 08, 2006 - 12:33 PM

I ride only in dunes.

No- A Rekluse will not help you in the wide open dunes.

The question is what do you think it will help you with?

• NYMXer

Posted September 08, 2006 - 01:23 PM

I have one on my YZ450F and love it for MX riding. I do not trail ride my race bike but w/ the Rekluse, my bike is a holeshot machine! If you beat them to the first turn your finish is bound to improve! :applause:

For dune riding, I don't se it helping very much if at all. I do see it helping w/ trail riding and might get one for my 450 quad! :thumbsup:

• BergArabia

Posted September 08, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Thanks guys this seems good advice.
To be honest I haven't had any problems with the bike bogging or stalling so maybe I can live without it.
cheers..

• Gatorbiker

Posted September 08, 2006 - 10:07 PM

I don't mean to sidetrack your thread but I would have a few questions concerning the Rekluse (I'm seriously considering buying one).

For example going up a hill in tight slippery hare scramble, I like riding my 450 a gear higher on the low-end torque.

Q1: Will the Rekluse clutch slip a lot?
Q2: Will it force me to ride a lower gear?
Q3: When accelerating from very low RPMs, does the power come gradually or it just bursts?
Q4: If it bursts, you can still over-ride manually with the clutch?

• ncmountainman

Posted September 09, 2006 - 06:28 AM

That's a tough call....

I have one on my 450 and I love it for trail riding, but I'm not sure if I'd like, or want one for dune riding. I tried the perch adjuster and could not get it to work as well as the standard spring setup. The motor mounted spring has a much more smooth/consistant feel to it. Once dialed in it's a "set it and forget it" deal.

JMO

ditto on what TD said :thumbsup:
gator,its very gradual;especially under load. i can ride technical trails in 2nd (as long as there are no monster hillclimbs), just lugging along burping the throttle without worrying about stalling and in emergency situations (like you just can't downshift) i've brought it up 1st gear hills in 2nd before :applause:

• BergArabia

Posted September 09, 2006 - 06:46 AM

OK so here is a possible use for this.
Here we have more or less ongoing impromptu races on big dunes where I ride.
the local guys mostly race their banshees and Raptors up them.
Needless to say I can smoke them with the paddle tire on.
But they usually get me on the start as I can't just let it rip till I get moving or I'll end up sitting on my butt. Keeping the front end is a real challenge and I am leaning right over the tank.
Once it gets going it is OK.
Would the rekluse help it get going more smoothly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted September 09, 2006 - 07:04 AM

if wheelies are the problem it may or may not help,2nd gear starts are much easier in normal starting conditions BUT in deep sand with a paddle tire i can smell the clutch smoke from here! i'd stick to the stocker and practice your clutch hand,might also look into heavier clutch springs :thumbsup:

• Gatorbiker

Posted September 09, 2006 - 07:09 AM

ditto on what TD said :thumbsup:
gator,its very gradual;especially under load. i can ride technical trails in 2nd (as long as there are no monster hillclimbs), just lugging along burping the throttle without worrying about stalling and in emergency situations (like you just can't downshift) i've brought it up 1st gear hills in 2nd before :applause:

Thanks MountainMan, I guess you kept your clutch lever...

BTW just like you I am switching from a WR (450) to a YZF450; I have major knee problems with my right knee :applause: so the Rekluse is my compromise for not having the "magik button" and so reducing the number of times I have to kickstart the beast during H/S races... make sense right?

• ncmountainman

Posted September 12, 2006 - 06:47 AM

i tried it with the lever (perch mount adjuster) but found that it was way smoother and more consistant with the motor mounted version. the 450's have plenty of torque to overcome the need for fanning the clutch and not messing with it actually helps with traction in slick conditions :thumbsup:

• BergArabia

Posted September 12, 2006 - 08:16 AM

if wheelies are the problem it may or may not help,2nd gear starts are much easier in normal starting conditions BUT in deep sand with a paddle tire i can smell the clutch smoke from here! i'd stick to the stocker and practice your clutch hand,might also look into heavier clutch springs :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice mountain man, I will try it.. :applause:

• TexN343

Posted September 12, 2006 - 11:28 AM

The perch adjuster helps keeping it stall when you are gassing it then suddleny locking up the back tire. You can pull in the clutch and it's the easiest clutch ever. You can make the power in burst or gradual just by throttle control. I also use the mx spring in the perch adjuster.

• Gatorbiker

Posted September 12, 2006 - 12:07 PM

I am bit confused here. My understanding is that with the Rekluse, you can still use the clutch if one wants to (for example in the unlikely event that the throttle gets stuck wide open). Does one in that case needs the "Rekluse External Perch Adjuster" or the old clutch lever and system is sufficient? (the Rekluse External Perch Adjuster being used only for adjustments) :thumbsup:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted September 12, 2006 - 07:59 PM

I am bit confused here. My understanding is that with the Rekluse, you can still use the clutch if one wants to

That is what I thought as well. Now to answer the question. Hell Yes...I am saving to get one soon. I can understand possibly not spending the $'s for wide open dunes and riding but for the tight stuff - A definate + / Huge advantage.

• TD-3

Posted September 13, 2006 - 03:01 AM

Does one in that case needs the "Rekluse External Perch Adjuster" or the old clutch lever and system is sufficient? (the Rekluse External Perch Adjuster being used only for adjustments)

If you want to retain the use of your clutch lever, then you need the "External Perch Adjuster". IT works WITH the stock clutch lever. It will all make sense when you install the system.

• Gatorbiker

Posted September 13, 2006 - 03:34 AM

If you want to retain the use of your clutch lever, then you need the "External Perch Adjuster". IT works WITH the stock clutch lever. It will all make sense when you install the system.

Thanks! I'll buy one as soon as they come out with the Rekluse for the 2007 model! :thumbsup:

• Fastest1

Posted September 13, 2006 - 04:10 AM

I ride MX and just finished a cross country race this weekend. Can you say "never stall"? I have been running an auto clutch for years (first an EFM and now the Rekluse, BTW the EFM worked well also). I would never run the clutch lever again. There is no need if you are on a 426/450. It will do anything you need without it. PS I have the part should anyone want to buy it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.