Red Hot Header... Help!!

19 replies to this topic
  • vincent1209

Posted September 07, 2006 - 04:42 PM

I just installed a Boyesen QuickShot and put a Zip Ty air fuel thumb adjuster on my 06YZ450 and when I fired it up I noticed my header right by the head and springs was getting fire red hot! Prior to this I debated about jetting but decided not to touch anything. I live in Tampa, Florida where it is about 80 degrees at night which is when I fired up the bike. The jetting is stock 45 pilot, 165 main and stock clip position on the needle.

Help............... Is it just running even more rich than before?? I never noticed it getting red hot before... hot sure but not red hot!

• bg10459

Posted September 07, 2006 - 05:06 PM

Hmmm :thumbsup: That's odd. I've never heard of that before.
I'd sell it,...... or....
http://www.thumperta...earchid=1843363

• 02YZ426

Posted September 07, 2006 - 05:06 PM

Don't panic! Thats completly normal

• SureBlue

Posted September 07, 2006 - 05:41 PM

Another cherry red hot header thread :thumbsup:
If it was like this
http://smg.photobuck...gAnch=imgAnch88
there is something wrong with it definitely. As said, I would sell it ASAP.
Another option is not to fire it up in the dark, then you don't know about it and there is really no problem, right?
It's a pity that the seach function is down most of the time.

• vincent1209

Posted September 07, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Selling can't be my only option guys... The bike was fine before I installed the quick shot and the air fuel adjuster. The air fuel adjuster shouldn't change a thing since it just a replacement for the stock one with the addition of a thumb wheel. So did the quick shot just make it run richer? or leaner?

• 02YZ426

Posted September 07, 2006 - 06:05 PM

Selling can't be my only option guys... The bike was fine before I installed the quick shot and the air fuel adjuster. The air fuel adjuster shouldn't change a thing since it just a replacement for the stock one with the addition of a thumb wheel. So did the quick shot just make it run richer? or leaner?

Ok, you don't have to sell the bike. There is like 1000 threads on this already, it is completley NORMAL! If the bike runs for 30 seconds or more in low light conditions the pipe will glow red! Nature of the beast. Its just by total chance that you haven't noticed this before you played around with the motor.

• barch88

Posted September 07, 2006 - 06:09 PM

Seems like the bike is running lean, as long as it seems to run fine, the pilot might be able to be ruled out, you may have to play with the needles, which I cannot help you there, I'm new to jetting, but this don't seem normal, my header never is red hot, it's just normal, blueish, gray.

• SureBlue

Posted September 07, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Vinnie, the quickshot only improves throttle response. But you could adjust the fuel screw richer with the thumb wheel, right? Really, the glowing is normal and discussed about hundred of times here, so much that it is already funny. Do a search (when it is not down) and then you understand :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted September 07, 2006 - 06:26 PM

Somebody fix the search feature.... :thumbsup:

• Zique

Posted September 07, 2006 - 07:05 PM

Somebody fix the search feature.... :thumbsup:

+1 :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 07, 2006 - 08:42 PM

OK, that's enough beating up on the new guy. :thumbsup:

You know the search function is unavailable in peak traffic and you remember what you thought the first time you saw your header lit up like that.

Vinnie, the accel pump you installed had nothing to do with this. You might have the idle fuel screw a bit too far in, but the fact is that it's normal, and if any of the jetting would affect it, it would be the pilot. The pipe glows at an idle because of a combination of the retarded timing in neutral, the aggressive cam profile, and the thin wall titanium header. It isn't anything to concern yourself with, but do be aware that the YZF's, as with most other liquid-cooled MX thumpers, do not like to idle at a standstill for more that a minute or so at most.

• BergArabia

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:55 AM

I love the red header posts.
Scared the crap out of me too when I first got the bike.
But it is good to know it is NORMAL

• x2stroker

Posted September 08, 2006 - 06:04 AM

Don't feel bad... I posted the same question when I got my 03 a few years ago.... most people don't notice it unless they run it in very low light situations. I thought I had big problems. A lean running buke will make it run hotter however... But, if it's running fine, don't sweat it!

Like grayracer said, they don't like to idle more than a minute or so...

• SureBlue

Posted September 08, 2006 - 01:39 PM

OK, that's enough beating up on the new guy. :thumbsup:

It's not really beating up the guy, it's the topic, the reappearing same discovery all newbies make. That's why the thread is gay. Not Vinnie.
:applause:

• motodude007

Posted September 08, 2006 - 01:45 PM

How does the bike run???? A common problem is the aftermarket fuel mixture screws are known to get loose, and fall out. That would cause it to run lean and glow red.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 08, 2006 - 02:37 PM

get out the hotdogs...its time for a weenie roast! :thumbsup:

you are fine guy ...they all do it........

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2006 - 02:42 PM

How does the bike run???? A common problem is the aftermarket fuel mixture screws are known to get loose, and fall out. That would cause it to run lean and glow red.

Think a little. A fuel screw that loosened would make the bike

A) Leaner

:thumbsup: Richer

C) Sneeze

D) Explode

Answer: B

Those who answered A go to your room and read your service manual for an hour.

If you answered C or D, .... I don't know what to tell you.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 08, 2006 - 02:46 PM

I hope it not a common problem....none have ever fallen out of my 9bikes :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2006 - 04:54 PM

Zip-Ty screws are the only ones that I've heard of falling out. The step that the screw sits against must be cut farther down than on others or something. I've never lost one, either.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 09, 2006 - 05:20 AM

Zip-Ty screws are the only ones that I've heard of falling out. The step that the screw sits against must be cut farther down than on others or something. I've never lost one, either.

interesting....ZipTy are the only ones I have ever used.....I guess I am lucky or something :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.