XR650L Head Bolt Torque

6 replies to this topic
  • NMXRThumper

Posted September 07, 2006 - 06:29 AM

Hey guys,
I just bought a 2004 XR650L and I noticed he torqued the head bolts WAY wrong. It looks like he torqued one bolt then the other resulting in a crooked pull rather than a even one. Don't have my service manual yet so can someone give me the head bolt torque value to use? TIA, Thumper

• GIANTac1

Posted September 07, 2006 - 02:19 PM

Whats up guy. Here you go.
6 total bolts at a torque value of 26 ft-lb. Says to add oil to the threads and flange surface. :thumbsup:

• LotsOfBikes

Posted September 07, 2006 - 02:56 PM

Use oil or antizieze.

I torqued mine up to 31ft-lbs the second time I did a head job on my 650L. The first time was at 26, and they managed to loosen, and the head gaskett blew out one day near where I worked. That was 6 years ago.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NMXRThumper

Posted September 07, 2006 - 07:46 PM

Thanks guy for the tips and torque. How about I push my luck and get a exhaust header bolt torque value as well? Which maintenance manual would you recommend getting? Where's the best place (cheapest) to buy it?

Thanks again, Bucky in NM

• cleonard

Posted September 08, 2006 - 08:37 AM

A real Honda manual is best, but a Clymer or Haynes will get you by. If you are not in too much of a hurry keep an eye on ebay. I got my Honda manual for $15 there.

• GIANTac1

Posted September 08, 2006 - 03:24 PM

Thanks guy for the tips and torque. How about I push my luck and get a exhaust header bolt torque value as well? Which maintenance manual would you recommend getting? Where's the best place (cheapest) to buy it?

Thanks again, Bucky in NM

12 ft-lbs should do ya. I tightened mine up with the calibrated elbow to "good -n- tight ft-lbs".
Try ebay for the manual, its the green one. :thumbsup:

• NMXRThumper

Posted September 09, 2006 - 05:29 AM

Thanks guys. I used to try the ole "good-n-tight" feel until I broke an engine mounting bolt on a bandit 1200 I had a few years ago. It ended up costing about $50 to have it cut out. I bought a torque wrench soon after. I have to justify the $65 for the wrench anyway. Thanks again, Bucky

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.