engine hour meter on '06 wr450

14 replies to this topic
  • davemo94

Posted September 07, 2006 - 06:18 AM

Has anyone mounted an engine hour meter on an '06 wr450? I just picked up the new bike last week, and got an hour meter yesterday so I can keep track of maintenace, but looking at the bike, I don't see any good place to mount it. I'm looking for ideas from anybody who's already gone through this. Thanks.

• pHreaC

Posted September 07, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Why would you buy an engine hour meter when the wr 06 is already equiped with one? Your digital odometer can be set to record time driven etc...

• A-ron

Posted September 07, 2006 - 10:12 AM

But can the 06 odometer keep track of hours and miles at the same time, or does it involve switching to race mode from basic mode. I've been through the manual several times, and it leaves a lot to be desired.

• Few

Posted September 07, 2006 - 11:52 AM

Search function is down for me, again :thumbsup: ...as usual :applause: , try looking there later. :applause:
This came up before, I remember a couple of months ago we were asked for ideas. :applause:

• davemo94

Posted September 07, 2006 - 12:11 PM

I searched this morning and came up with nothing.

As far as I can tell from the manual the time function only works in race mode and gets reset each time you switch between race and regular. In race mode you only get average speed, not current speed. The dealer told me it had an hour meter built in, but I can't figure out how to access anything but the resetable timer from either the manual or playing with the buttons. The manual section on the computer definitely leaves alot to be desired!

• clark4131

Posted September 07, 2006 - 01:34 PM

If the OEM computer doesn't help, then you can mount the hour meter on the head tube. I mounted mine with some industrial strength mounting tape and it has never fallen off. I bought the combination tach/hour meter from Sendec. Very handy for proper tuning...SC

Posted Image

• davemo94

Posted September 09, 2006 - 06:04 AM

Thanks for the input so far. This forum is awesome! :thumbsup: I mounted it up last night as SC suggested, and the mount seems to work fine, but I can't get the unit to pick up the signal.

My '06 wr450 has the coil mounted right on the plug, so there's no high-voltage wire I can wrap the meter pick-up wire around as shown in the directions. I've tried wrapping the pick-up around both wires leading to the coil, and just the orange (positive) but neither wrap causes the meter to pick up the signal.

Has anyone else run into this? What's the proper way to wire this up?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted September 09, 2006 - 06:08 AM

Wrap it 5 or 6 times around the vertical part of the coil that comes right off the spark plug. That's where mine is attatched, and I've got no issues...SC

• davemo94

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the help SC! I wrapped it as suggested and it works great. :thumbsup:

I just got back from a trip to Michigan for some woods riding, and absolutely love the WR on the trails! :lame:

• Beejay

Posted September 18, 2006 - 03:53 PM

Why not just use the accumulated total milage registered on the speedo for maintenance?

• SID013

Posted September 18, 2006 - 04:37 PM

Hi, The '06 450 odometer has several re-settable distance travelled setting 'A' & 'B'. I re-set the'B' each time I do a service & when it reaches the required service distance I carry it out & re-set again. the 'A' doesn't get changed & keeps the total distance travelled.

Hope this helps.

• texas_hippie

Posted September 18, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Why not just use the accumulated total milage registered on the speedo for maintenance?

That total mileage got "accidently" reset on my bike, I thought I could always get it back, but apparently I was wrong. Sucks being me, huh? :thumbsup:

• davemo94

Posted September 19, 2006 - 06:12 AM

I think engine hours is a better measure than miles for engine maintenance purposes. :thumbsup:

For example, on fast open trails, say averaging 30 mph, you might rack up 30 miles in 1 hour of engine time. While on tight, 1st gear single track, it might take over 3 hours of engine time to accumulate the same 30 miles on the odometer.

The trails I ride vary between these extreme's so I prefer to base my maintenance on the engine hours.

• babyspankynhb

Posted September 19, 2006 - 06:49 AM

I have a problem with the stock speedo/odometer because my battery is CRAP and when I try to start the bike it resets the entire unit. Who makes a different unit that utilizes a back-up battery?

• Beejay

Posted September 19, 2006 - 03:13 PM

I think engine hours is a better measure than miles for engine maintenance purposes. :thumbsup:

For example, on fast open trails, say averaging 30 mph, you might rack up 30 miles in 1 hour of engine time. While on tight, 1st gear single track, it might take over 3 hours of engine time to accumulate the same 30 miles on the odometer.

The trails I ride vary between these extreme's so I prefer to base my maintenance on the engine hours.

On the other hand, consider this scenario,

1hr at 130km/h distance travelled is 130km
1hr at 20km/h distance travelled is 20km
if one is riding slower it does not mean heavier use of the machine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.