xr650r fork spring noise

9 replies to this topic
  • xr650rkyle

Posted September 06, 2006 - 07:46 PM

I just had a local shop install a new set of eilbach .47 fork springs, along with new seals and fork oil. But now they sound like an old creeky bed when i work the forks up and down. I have not ridden the bike yet on the dirt with the new springs, but they did not make that kinda noise before!
Anybody know whats up with this?
Solutions?

Thanks Kyle :thumbsup:

• frankstr

Posted September 06, 2006 - 09:23 PM

Mine did the same thing..It will go away after riding... :thumbsup:

Kyle,Welcome to Thumper Talk

• XR4DEZ

Posted September 06, 2006 - 09:29 PM

I was told it's because the Eibach spring is no longer teflon coated but no need to worry.

• frankstr

Posted September 07, 2006 - 05:34 AM

I still have my stock spring and I don't believe they were teflon coated..
Just a matter of the fork oil splashing on the upper part of springs.

• Miguel159

Posted September 07, 2006 - 07:02 AM

Thank God I'm not the only one with creaky springs! I replaced my stockers with Race Tech's and got the same noise. I thought I buggered it up some how :thumbsup: . I've been riding it and haven't noticed anything other than the noise.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MindBlower

Posted September 07, 2006 - 12:14 PM

So it doesn't go away all the time?

• xr650rkyle

Posted September 07, 2006 - 07:55 PM

What's wierd is I also have a xr600r with .47 springs, that time from race tech and they don't make any noise at all!
This time Precision Concepts installed the fork spring set of new .47 eilbachs. I sure hope it goes away...It just sounds kinda cheap...like a chinese bike or something!

• 1Hondalover

Posted September 07, 2006 - 08:48 PM

I just had a local shop install a new set of eilbach .47 fork springs, along with new seals and fork oil. But now they sound like an old creeky bed when i work the forks up and down. I have not ridden the bike yet on the dirt with the new springs, but they did not make that kinda noise before!
Solutions?

Try loosening up the triple clamp pinch bolts and if you or someone else didn't........TORQUE them to factory spec. Never lubricate the threads either. How do I know that A VERY FEW inch pounds will make or break the sound? It just happened to me! Precision Concepts builds my suspension. When I got it back from the last service and was installing the forks, I didn't like the way the pinch bolts were "creaking" approaching torque (248 in. lbs. I think). I put a TINY amount of liquid teflon under the head of the bolts and they went back in smooth as silk.

BAD IDEA! What happened was even though my torque wrench was set properly, the factory torque spec is DRY! The pinch on the tubes was too tight because the lubricant let the bolts get tighter than they should have been before the wrench clicked off.

I would have never though so! This bolt torque spec is critical. My old bed spring noise was gone instantly.

• mmxr650r

Posted September 07, 2006 - 09:13 PM

Solutions?

Had the same thing happen to me, after having Precision Concepts do the "works" on my 650R (included adding the new Eibach springs). I actually talked with Bob Bell, and he stated that it was normal. After a few rides, the sound was gone. I would believe that after a few rides, yours will seat, and all will be fine...

• xr650rkyle

Posted September 08, 2006 - 01:44 PM

Well... When I put the forks on I just just used my calibrated arm muscles!
I will try and re-torque using the specs and see if that works...
Thanks for the tip.http://www.thumperta...6580&noquote=1#

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.