14/45 gearing handling highway

3 replies to this topic
  • elrontx

Posted September 06, 2006 - 04:31 AM

i run 14/45 on my 05xrl650 its ok in the dirt but at 70 mph highway the bike seems like its working kinda hard.i usually ride at this speed to my friends house 20 miles away and from there we load up his truck sometimes i do 60 or so highway miles to to the trail.im not very mechanically inclined thats why im posting.so will this sort of highway riding mess up my bike with this gearing?i plan on running 14/48 next year but that willl be strictly for dirt.

• frankiewhipit

Posted September 06, 2006 - 11:47 AM

I run the stock 15/45 gearing day to day,I think that 60-65 mph is fine with this gearing, when going to play in the woods I switch to 14/47 which seems to work good
Where in NY are you located?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elrontx

Posted September 06, 2006 - 12:23 PM

southern westchester county .i know the stock gearing is fine for highway i was asking if 14/45 gearing was to stressful on the bike at long distance highway speeds 14/47 must be magic in the woods.where in ny are you

• frankiewhipit

Posted September 06, 2006 - 01:58 PM

I live in Rockland Co. I have left the 14/45 combo on for the street & to me it seems like the engine is revving to high for any length of time, prematurely wearing out parts

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.