WR450 '06 Engine durability

33 replies to this topic
  • sebastiangaertner

Posted September 05, 2006 - 09:38 PM

any idea how many kilometer/miles you can ride teh 450 engine if you change your oil accordingly and even more often?

Thanks

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 05, 2006 - 09:58 PM

Clean the airfilter after every ride and and change the oil every 200 miles or so and the engine should last 10,000 miles dirt only. Alot more if you use it as a DS

• Alley Cat

Posted September 05, 2006 - 10:07 PM

I laugh when people pick numbers out of their asses!

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 05, 2006 - 10:30 PM

I laugh when people pick numbers out of their asses!

A fast racer would probably blow one of these up pretty quick, but the average rider would be able to put some serious mileage on one before tearing it down for a rebuild. These aren't Hondas you know

• Alley Cat

Posted September 06, 2006 - 12:14 AM

A fast racer would probably blow one of these up pretty quick, but the average rider would be able to put some serious mileage on one before tearing it down for a rebuild. These aren't Hondas you know

So how can you put a figure on it? :thumbsup:

• Audun

Posted September 06, 2006 - 04:49 AM

If you take your wr out racing, full throttle and newer let it idle to let it heat before driving, use cheap mineral oil and so on, it shouldnt be a problem to ruin it in a week or so.. T

reat it nice, change oil often, always idle it before riding and never go faster than 30mph, and ride it once a month it would last a lifetime.. Even husabergs last long when you treat them right!

• MrDude_1

Posted September 06, 2006 - 05:27 AM

so has anyone here actually wore theirs out? i mean, changed the oil, kept the filter clean,ect.... and just by riding it, without any excessive outside interference wore it out?

it is a question that concerns me slightly... given the cost of the bike.. im waiting for my current street bike to sell, then i'll be on a new 07 (or 06 if i find one)... one of the main reasons its hard to sell? i put over 60,000 miles on it in the last 3 years. (i like to ride. :thumbsup: )

ive been browsing/reading on here for over a week now.. and well, i was looking for info like "this fails eventually".. "do this before this goes" that kind of thing... i havent found much.

• face_plant

Posted September 06, 2006 - 06:39 AM

what do you expect its a yamaha ) not a honda, i got around 2800 miles since july just checked the valves and fine next check 4200 mi
i dual sport

• MountainMax

Posted September 06, 2006 - 09:14 AM

are you saying honda needs more or less maintenance and/or problems then out beloved Yamahas'??? im sure how you drive it is as important as how you maintain it, but one week racing, I find that hard to beleive it can be destroyed that fast even with the hardest conditions.....

• darrylwt

Posted September 06, 2006 - 10:59 AM

Good answer that is why I got a Yamaha because I wanted something that lasted!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • darrylwt

Posted September 06, 2006 - 11:08 AM

so has anyone here actually wore theirs out? i mean, changed the oil, kept the filter clean,ect.... and just by riding it, without any excessive outside interference wore it out?

it is a question that concerns me slightly... given the cost of the bike.. im waiting for my current street bike to sell, then i'll be on a new 07 (or 06 if i find one)... one of the main reasons its hard to sell? i put over 60,000 miles on it in the last 3 years. (i like to ride. :thumbsup: )

ive been browsing/reading on here for over a week now.. and well, i was looking for info like "this fails eventually".. "do this before this goes" that kind of thing... i havent found much.

Wow That is a lot a miles in SC with all the rain or you road in the rain most of the time. LOL I live in Calif and have 2 Harley's and in 3 years put 35000 miles on them. Well I got a 06 WR 450 a few weeks ago and I love it I just put a white Brothers E2 muffler on it and a RTT stabilizer/dampener and did all the free mods and when it gets cooler ride the heck out of it.

• MrDude_1

Posted September 06, 2006 - 11:25 AM

Wow That is a lot a miles in SC with all the rain or you road in the rain most of the time. LOL I live in Calif and have 2 Harley's and in 3 years put 35000 miles on them. Well I got a 06 WR 450 a few weeks ago and I love it I just put a white Brothers E2 muffler on it and a RTT stabilizer/dampener and did all the free mods and when it gets cooler ride the heck out of it.

yea, basiclly it was my daily driver. anywhere, year round, any weather... and when im bored, i just jump on it and ride for a couple hours...
Between the roadtrips, daily driving, and crusing almost every evening, it adds up quick.

so what internal motor parts wear?
does the cam, cam followers, valve tips, ect wear substantially?
assuming you're not letting dirt into the cylinder, does the bore/ring seal wear out or seem to last forever?
what is the service interval like for things like the timing chain? (id just buy a service manual, but i donno if im going to end up with a 06 or a 07..)

• PfM

Posted September 06, 2006 - 02:08 PM

Do a search - there are some fairly high mileage WRs lurking here.

I have been looking at these threads with some interest, as I am considering getting one for use as an urban assault vehicle/commuter. Yeah, I know - not the intended use, but I promise to get some mud on it now and again.

The service manual won't help you - it is based on off road & competition use, but you can get a copy here (Australian):
http://www.yamahaown...TJ-28199-43.pdf

If I could pull some longevity estimates and service schedules from my orifice, based on what I have seen posted here:
50000km for top end
1500km oil changes (thats every 6 weeks)
3000km filter changes.
Transmission - not knowing, but that has to be down to riding style.

That is with my wussy riding style on 60 - 80kph roads and trails, no redlines, no freeway, no motard.
If you cane it, refer to the owners manual.

Cheers

• flatnacker

Posted September 06, 2006 - 02:58 PM

If you cane it, refer to the owners manual.

Cheers

How in the hell do you ride a dirt bike without canning it??

• cgrlvr35

Posted September 06, 2006 - 03:04 PM

I have a 05 WR450. No real problems here. I have had the valves checked twice. All in spec each time. I do race off road, WORCS, OMRA,NMA. I change the oil on a regular basis with filter. Its all been good. I have about 1100miles on bike. I haven't touched odometer. I have been happy with it.

• PfM

Posted September 06, 2006 - 03:19 PM

How in the hell do you ride a dirt bike without canning it??

When you don't use it as a dirt bike.

Most people do, and that is what the designers had in mind - hence the manual specifies a fairly strict schedule.

Like I said, I would not be using it for its intended purpose.

Cheers

• sebastiangaertner

Posted September 07, 2006 - 02:25 AM

Thanks guys

Lots of information. We ride fairly easy stuff. No competition but sometimes lots of kilometers up to 1500km in a couple of days.. I live in the Land of no fences and restrictions (Tanzania/Africa) and there are beautiful dirt roads and single trails that can be 100miles long (game/cattle tracks and bicycle tracks...)

We do raace once in a while 3 races per year with lets say 120miles each ....

i have to decide between a KTM525 (much higher price..) and the WR450... the fact that somebody mentions several ten thousand miles sounds good.

Thanks so far.
the oil we get here is not the best i guess. We do get a synthestic oil which has done well in my KTM620..

Well, ill keep reading the thread and will have to make my mind up until next minday to get one from the november 2006 production...

• uncleroby

Posted September 07, 2006 - 05:44 AM

If you ride in wide and open spaces I would buy an Honda XR650R.
Really bulletproof: I did 42.500 kilometers before selling her and She was perfect!

In the tight it is too big and heavy but for long distance it was designed.

• 2tall2tall

Posted September 07, 2006 - 06:15 AM

I'm coming up on 9K miles on my 2000 WR400. All of it being nasty single track, occassional dual sport. Engine runs awesome and has not needed any major work. As the others have said, change the oil and air filter often, and check the valves every 2K. Hope the new WR's are as good as the older ones!

• SV650WR450F

Posted January 24, 2008 - 02:29 PM

any idea how many kilometer/miles you can ride teh 450 engine if you change your oil accordingly and even more often?

Thanks

230mi

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.