PA Street legal WR (or CA, see msg)

No replies to this topic
  • mike21b

Posted September 05, 2006 - 04:27 PM

n00b here. Not to bikes, just this forum. I’ve had an itch for a WR-450 for some time now, but I want it to be street legal. The reason I ask CA guys to chime in is because I see a bunch of you have them and my wife is a legal CA resident and I could register it there.

This works pretty cool with cars – hers is here in PA and exempt from all CA regulations, mine is in CA and exempt from PA regs and inspection – until we bring them back to their “home” states, then emissions and inspections have to take place soon afterwards. IF we take them back…..

I know it’s not easy to get a plate in CA or PA but in reading back a couple months worth of posts, I see that it’s been done in both states. My local Yamaha dealer will work with me if I buy a new one, but I have my eye on a 2004 WR-450.

Anyway… I have numerous bikes, including KLR-650, KLX-300, KDX-200, and, ummm… 7 others of various vintage, from 2002 ZRX-1200 to 1978 Montesa Cota 348. The bike that’s missing is a good enduro bike, ergo the WR desire.

So, can anyone shed some light on the subject (even though it’s been talked about before)? I have a nice truck that I can haul bikes around on, but it’s nice to take a legal jaunt on the road, like ride 10 miles (or maybe 50) to my favorite trail(s).

My KLR cruises along comfortably at 60 mph but I don’t expect that a WR would do the same, although my wife’s 250 Super Sherpa will hum along just fine at 60+. She (wife and bike) are good for 200+ mile days. The KLR is a pig off road, but I’ve had it in some gnarly sections, and made it out OK. I’ve only dropped it…. Oh, a few times. Yeah, it’s not always easy to pick back up again.

Finally, let’s say we’ve got a WR-450 Dual Sport. Obviously a high performance machine, making way more power than my KLR – how long will the motor last if I rode it in a similar manner? 5,000 miles? 10,000? More?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.