426 stalls right off the line

9 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted September 05, 2006 - 03:36 AM

My '02 YZ426 has developed a stall right as you blip the throttle. The engine is aleady up to operating temp and it's usually when I pause for other bikes to catch up on the trail. I blip it a time or two and before I even grab the clutch and it dies, I have to hot-start and there goes my lead. I've had the carb apart recently so I don't think it's trash in there but I can't figure what else. It's actually done this from the start but a lot more recently so mabey it's a jetting issue?

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2006 - 09:42 AM

Does the accelerator pump work? The pump shaft may be stuck, or the check valves or diaphragm leaking.

• Goosedog

Posted September 05, 2006 - 10:59 AM

I've not been into the carb that far, just cleaned out the pilot jet cause it's been collecting grit lately.

What should I look for in the way of a stuck pump shaft or damaged diaphragm?

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2006 - 12:05 PM

Either remove the air filter, or the air boot, and look to see if the pump actually squirts fuel.

The shaft is on the right side of the carb under the throttle cam cover. It should move as the throttle is opened and closed. They have been known to gather dirt around the point where they enter the pump housing and jamb themselves.

• Goosedog

Posted September 05, 2006 - 02:16 PM

Either remove the air filter, or the air boot, and look to see if the pump actually squirts fuel.

Do this with the bike running or not?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2006 - 02:41 PM

Not running. Not too many times, either, if it pumps. You need to look into the mouth of the carb for a stream of gas being sprayed up and into the throat as the throttle is opened.

• Goosedog

Posted September 05, 2006 - 02:51 PM

Would you recommend replacing and/or upgrading the pump on a bike this old with a lot of hours anyway? I've recently replaced the boot on either side of the carb along with their o-rings recently because dirt kept getting into the pilot jet, but didn't concider reworking the a-pump at the time.

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2006 - 03:35 PM

If the diaphragm looks cracked or tired, I'd replace it. I don't think it needs to be upgraded beyond the BK Mod

• Goosedog

Posted September 05, 2006 - 04:22 PM

• Milhaus

Posted September 05, 2006 - 09:24 PM

I just cleaned my entire carb this weekend. Not much too it. Mine had a bunch of crud in it and was bogging, stalling, and basically running like crap. The carb should last much longer if you clean it out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.