06 YZ450f Scott's oil filter question? (pics)

11 replies to this topic
  • WFOracer

Posted September 04, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Check out these pictures of my scott' stainless oil filter. That little rubber gasket on the top of it is starting to fall apart. It seems like everytime I take it out, there are more chunks missing from it. Anyone else run into this? I am running Bel-Ray Thumper oil. Sorry, my camera wouldn't (can't) focus that close, so they are a little blurry.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2006 - 10:15 PM

I haven't had any such problems running a Scotts, but you should contact customer support using the link on This Page for a replacement, and find out why it could be happening.

• SureBlue

Posted September 04, 2006 - 10:25 PM

With what and how do you clean it?

• WFOracer

Posted September 05, 2006 - 04:19 AM

Thanks grey, I'll send them an email.

I use bel-ray contact cleaner to spray it out.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 05, 2006 - 05:22 AM

You can replace the rubber top - Ace Hardware has the exact replcement -
glue on with 3m or other adhesive.
That one looks like it is falling apart - mine has not done this but does regularly unglue itself.

• WFOracer

Posted September 05, 2006 - 06:29 AM

glue on with 3m or other adhesive.

Really? Glue? Wouldn't that just end up disolved in your engine oil...or disolving during cleaning?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vibeguy

Posted September 05, 2006 - 08:40 AM

Any swelling and/or softening of an elastomer is typicaly caused by chemical attack. Some electrical contact or carb cleaners can raise hell with elastomers, especially if the part is left to soak in it.

The Bel Ray oil you use is not the problem.

• WFOracer

Posted September 05, 2006 - 09:11 AM

What kind of cleaner is recommended for the Scott's filter?

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2006 - 10:21 AM

I use bel-ray contact cleaner to spray it out.

I wouldn't use contact cleaner. That could be the problem. Use carb cleaner, such as Berryman's B12, instead.

David,

Thanks for the tip. Where within the store do you find the seals at Ace? My oldest one is pretty squashed.

• Ga450owner

Posted September 05, 2006 - 10:49 AM

I wouldn't use contact cleaner. That could be the problem. Use carb cleaner, such as Berryman's B12, instead.

David,

Thanks for the tip. Where within the store do you find the seals at Ace? My oldest one is pretty squashed.

I go to the area where all the different types of specialty screws etc.. are....corks, rubber stoppers....(I use these for exhaust stoppers)

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2006 - 11:44 AM

Thanks,

"Newbie" :thumbsup:

• SureBlue

Posted September 05, 2006 - 03:21 PM

:applause:
Posted Image
:applause: :applause:
One thing I don't get, 450ownwer's join date and post count, pls explain, David. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.