Talk me into an XR650R

24 replies to this topic
  • Liquelo

Posted September 06, 2006 - 11:29 AM

The weight of the BRP is a consideration for me. I'm only 165lbs and no longer able to rip trees out by the trunk like when I was half my age. It is encouraging to hear the bike in question is a good tool for Ocotillo.

Still would like to hear from anyone who is familiar with the route from Ocotillo to Superstition Mt.

• Boudroux

Posted September 06, 2006 - 11:37 AM

The weight of the BRP is a consideration for me. I'm only 165lbs and no longer able to rip trees out by the trunk like when I was half my age. It is encouraging to hear the bike in question is a good tool for Ocotillo.

Still would like to hear from anyone who is familiar with the route from Ocotillo to Superstition Mt.

Forgive me if this is a bad question as I've never run from OW to Superstition. Is the terain on that ride different then everywhere else in O Wells? If not someone who has ridden everywhere in OW can give good feed back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted September 06, 2006 - 01:48 PM

I live at the base of San Gorgonio and have been all over Ocotillo to Superstition Mt, Anza, down to the boarder and up to Glamis through Chocolate Mountains, Red cloud road. The IRC M5B is the best tire to have on the BRP down there, the rocks will thrash it but, it is by far the best tire for the sand short of a paddle. What is there to say? I have two XR 400's here also and they are better in the tight stuff but, nothing like a XR650R in the open stuff, both are fun but, the BRP can give you a grin that will cut your head in half. 16hp more is a lot of ponies for 25 pounds more bike. The torque is awesome but, the whole package is very manageable. The XR650R has a horrible suspension stock for most heavy guys that push the limits of the bike.

Posted Image

Then again the XR650R might be a little low on power, to fix this you need a 680cc bore, Barnum's high lift stage two cam, oversized intake valves, S/S valves, 42mm overbored Edelbrock, Moriwaki full exhaust stystem, UNI, and a killer suspension.

• philipstjohn

Posted September 06, 2006 - 06:20 PM

You need to talk yourself into one, then get one, and ride it, and when in doubt give it gas! And, what a gas it is... I just received my new to me 06 XR650R, suspension upgrades, uncorked, titled, etc. and just re jetted the bike to sea level where I live and it really rips! It seems at your your age this may not be the perfect dual sport bike... Remember, this is a race bike, keep it dialed in and it starts easy, (well most of the time) but you are still kicking it over each time to start it. And, it is made to run fast, if you do not, it will overheat at times...
It is The Bad A__s Desert Bike, and if you like serious race bikes, this is it! :thumbsup:

• Liquelo

Posted September 06, 2006 - 07:03 PM

Okay guys, you've given me a good education regarding the exciting and much beloved BRP.

Oh to be found pig-worthy, huh-huh, that would be cool.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.