YZ450F maintenece questions

11 replies to this topic
  • w00ht

Posted September 04, 2006 - 06:42 PM

Hey guys,

I'm looking into a new 450 to run supermoto and play around on the MX track with. My son's first two bikes (PW80 and TTR50) were Yamaha's so he wants his old mans new bike to be a Yamaha too. I really like the white 07 YZ and will probably end up ging that route if I can get a few things answered.

Like I said the predominant use will be in S/M trim for competeing in a series around here. Then there will be an ocasional excursion to the MX park to ride with freinds. I'm not super big into MX, but still want to be able to hang out with my buddies who ride and race post vintage. If I can get Virginia to give me a title, then I'd ride it in SM trim to school (5 miles one way) here and there.

What are the recomended intervals for valve checks and replacement?

Also what is the oil capacity and how frequently shoudl it be changed? I am a freak about changing my oil anyway so this really doesn't bother me, but I just want to get an idea of what it is going to be.

Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2006 - 07:43 PM

What are the recomended intervals for valve checks and replacement?

Also what is the oil capacity and how frequently shoudl it be changed? I am a freak about changing my oil anyway so this really doesn't bother me, but I just want to get an idea of what it is going to be.

Thanks.

On my '03, I typically change the oil and clean the Scotts filter each third ride, unless there's a race day thrown in. It goes racing with clean oil, and gets it changed afterward. The '06 carries less oil, so it gets dirty faster. I change it every other ride.

The valves...well, I do check them, but in 3 years, the '03 has never needed an adjustment. I'll replace them as soon as they wear more than .10mm, but I have no idea when that will be. I think the rings will go first, and I'll do them then.

• YzF Rider

Posted September 04, 2006 - 07:45 PM

wow 3 years huh...i change oil in mine ever 5 hours of riding...and check valves every10...but the valves may last between 10-25 hours depeding and how u ride before reshiming

• Birdy426

Posted September 04, 2006 - 08:48 PM

...but the valves may last between 10-25 hours depeding and how u ride before reshiming

10 to 25 hours on the valves? The first set in my 02 426 lasted more than 6000 miles...at an average of 40 miles an hour (which is probably a lot faster than I really ride), that's more than 150 hours. Even then, it was only the center intake valve that really needed to be replaced. I did them all, though, as long as I had the bike apart. I've got more than 40 on the new set, with no evidence of wear...are the 426s that much stronger than the 450s?

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2006 - 10:18 PM

...but the valves may last between 10-25 hours depeding and how u ride before reshiming

:thumbsup: You make me laugh.

• Nitroused383

Posted September 04, 2006 - 10:26 PM

I only change the oil and filter. I've checked the valves but like gray racer said I see no point in checking anymore. They have never moved and I'm guestimating my bike has 150-200 hours on it. When do you do a piston?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted September 05, 2006 - 05:38 AM

I find the YZ very tough. I change oil keep the air filter clean and it just goes and goes. Starts easily and runs smoothly.
I think the YZ is a very reliable bike. Which is one reason I bought it in the first time. I at first went along to check out the CRFs but the YZ I found much easier to start on the shop floor and it also had good reviews here on TT.

• Daffy Duck

Posted September 05, 2006 - 06:01 AM

I just change oil clean the filters and no dramas so far..

• yz_for_me

Posted September 05, 2006 - 11:43 AM

..but the valves may last between 10-25 hours depeding and how u ride before reshiming

I think you're confused. He said he was looking at a Yamaha, not a Honda. It's not uncommon for YZF's to go 10 times that long without adjustment.

• w00ht

Posted September 05, 2006 - 03:54 PM

Thanks guys, I've heard lots of horror stories about valve train life on 450's and figured that meant all of them not just the CRF.

• mikedabike

Posted September 05, 2006 - 07:20 PM

I have an 04 I race Supermoto with it has well over 100 hours and has never needed a valve adjustment. I did have to reshim it when I put a set of hotcams in it a couple of months ago. But up until that point they never moved at all.

• x2stroker

Posted September 06, 2006 - 05:58 AM

I have an 03 and an 06. I had the valves checked on my 03 three times in 3 years and they have never needed adjustment. It has over 150 hours. I've yet to check my 06.

I change my oil every 3 - 4 rides depending on the conditions.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.