Can I repack an FMF Q?

11 replies to this topic
  • zorroz

Posted September 04, 2006 - 06:35 PM

Just curious if someone has opened one up and seen whats inside?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 04, 2006 - 08:41 PM

I repacked my fmf factory 4. It was not bad. I'm pretty sure that they have packing for the q pipe for sale.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 05, 2006 - 12:55 AM

Just curious if someone has opened one up and seen whats inside?

Take the 4 bolts holding the mid pipe to your canister off and pull the mid pipe out. The core is attatched to the midpipe and there should be packing around it. Then after the core there is the turbine spark arrestor. After the turbine there is the a chamber and the baffle/endcap. This concludes the tour of the FMF Q

• Gadsen

Posted September 05, 2006 - 08:29 AM

Hey, I have a story about this. My grandsons race bike was drooling splooge ou the muffler all the time. Its a KTM SX65. Anyway, opened the canister up and found splooge soaked fiberglass. Stuff was filthy dirty, weighed a ton. Remove it, went to my roll of Owens Corning pink insulation roll I had in the tool shed, cut off enough to fit, rolled it up into the muffler, closed it back up. Not only was it identical to the factory stuff (except color), it trimmed about 3 lbs from his bike and works perfect. Just dont tell the rest of his buddys he has the "pink" stuff. And when it starts drooling splooge from the seams, I will assume its saturated again and repack it again.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 05, 2006 - 11:00 AM

but on a Q pipe, will the pink stuff be as effective? FMF claims to have invested great time and technology into their packing. It would be quite interesting if the dow corning / pink panther labelled stuff works as well. I was under the impression that the pink stuff would insulate against temperature but not sound.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 05, 2006 - 11:12 AM

but on a Q pipe, will the pink stuff be as effective? FMF claims to have invested great time and technology into their packing. It would be quite interesting if the dow corning / pink panther labelled stuff works as well. I was under the impression that the pink stuff would insulate against temperature but not sound.

FMF makes a packing pillow specific for the "Q". It comes with installation directions :thumbsup: I've heard that the Silent Sport is a better packing :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zorroz

Posted September 05, 2006 - 12:46 PM

Thanks guys. I'll open it up now and put some packing in it. Always good to know before opening something that I'm not going to stuff it up!

• fershy

Posted September 05, 2006 - 09:17 PM

You know, I recently purchased a FMF Q and powerbomb header on Ebay. Mounted the header but have not tried it muffler.Of course I had to take it apart to see what state thepacking was in. (just fine) One thing I do note, is that the baffle looked to be lighty wrapped in what I assume is SS steel wool. I am just wondering if that comes stock or if the previous owner put that in there to mitigate early retirement of the fibreglass? Any one else had theirs apart? I could take some pics as it is still awaiting reassembly.
fershy

• kirkw

Posted September 07, 2006 - 12:55 PM

I just repacked my FMF Q. It had the pillow style in from the factory and from day 1 it was always close to 96db. After probably 100 hrs of use I repacked with the Silent Sport stringy stuff. Was 93.1db.

• VeloCT

Posted April 09, 2007 - 05:23 PM

You know, I recently purchased a FMF Q and powerbomb header on Ebay. Mounted the header but have not tried it muffler.Of course I had to take it apart to see what state thepacking was in. (just fine) One thing I do note, is that the baffle looked to be lighty wrapped in what I assume is SS steel wool. I am just wondering if that comes stock or if the previous owner put that in there to mitigate early retirement of the fibreglass? Any one else had theirs apart? I could take some pics as it is still awaiting reassembly.
fershy

Here's the installation instructions for FMF's Premier Packing http://www.fmfracing...mierpacking.pdf
Sounds like that's what you have

• fershy

Posted April 12, 2007 - 08:31 AM

Hey VeloCT great follow up, thanks for that. It looks like FMF have evolved their packing systems. I noticed when I took mine apart there was a stainless steel wool blanket protecting the fibreglass packing. Makes sense, I am sure it lasts alot longer than previous packings.
fershy

• C-P

Posted April 21, 2007 - 08:25 AM

Also...watch out for canisters stuck to the midpipe...I couldn't get mine off for the life of me, even drilled out all the rivets, THEN finally got the instructions from the FMF site. Ooops. P.O. used silicone to seal the can to the midpipe and it was stuck like nobody's business. Needless to say, I did NOT re-seal with silicone.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.