little advice on 2007 XR650L

36 replies to this topic
  • njriderac

Posted September 05, 2006 - 11:10 AM

This may be of interest to you... I wrote this when I purchased my 650L a few years ago - since the haven't changed mechanically its all releveant

http://www.therallyi...DualSports.aspx

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted September 05, 2006 - 12:23 PM

Yep. Check the garages on this site. Mine has some mods/pics you may be interested in, as do other folks garages.

Congrats on the new scoot. Check yer six, and ride safe. :thumbsup:

• MCCOYBOY

Posted September 05, 2006 - 01:58 PM

Where are you located in virginia?

• pgiinc

Posted September 05, 2006 - 06:22 PM

I am in midlothian west of Richmond
some great mods you guys have thanks
I picked up my bike today been riding this afternoon and getting used to it its a nice piece of machinery , I think i love it
The nose is diving to much front is soft
I am 6' 250lb were should i have thew suspension front? rear? for settings
thanks

• radvocaat

Posted September 05, 2006 - 09:33 PM

I am in midlothian west of Richmond
some great mods you guys have thanks
I picked up my bike today been riding this afternoon and getting used to it its a nice piece of machinery , I think i love it
The nose is diving to much front is soft
I am 6' 250lb were should i have thew suspension front? rear? for settings
thanks

IMO--At the size you described yourself, put heavier springs in front and rear( I had a pro do mine, re-valve etc..) been very happy , no more front end dive and rips through roots/rocks etc so much better now.
Don't bother with D-jet kit, waste of $$$, do stock carb mods recommended here and everywhere.
Change stock pegs, makes big difference when you stick to the pegs, stockers suck.
Clarke 4.7 almost double your range!
I use the renthal Fat Bar with vortex riser, acerbis hand guards a must( I let go lots, love bike, but value life too!!)save your levers!!! bikes been down hard many many times and no bends in bars, very happy with fat bar!
Strip off buddy pegs, unless you plan to take a 60 or 70 pounder for a ride, you alone have got your bike close to max GVW (get your susp done!!!)
Smog block off is easy. I made my plates, but I hear the kit is cheap.
I've heard mixed revues on the terraflex. I've been happy with the pirrelli MT21, but I just use full knobs now, no signals (still legal here) and a XR-R rear tail light( with bulb mods)
Twin Air or uni or similar foam filter over K&N
skid plate is good to have if in rocky areas, stocker is wide open .
Moose for me, fits good, cheap
14-front, 47 rear, gearing helps tons in the tight stuff(1st gear too long stock)
Superbrace fork brace was a great investment, but pricey.
My WB QE can with stainless header is REALLY LOUD, and I love it!
I think I covered your questions, hope it helps make some decisions

Once again, just my opinion!

Rick

Oh ya, remember to grease all 4 rear susp points

Enjoy your new ride. Must be good to be back-----eh!!!! :thumbsup:

• elrontx

Posted September 06, 2006 - 04:47 AM

Welcome to the GAME. I bought my bike stock...and was happy for the first day or 2..then found all these sites on modding the lil piggy...and the rest is history. I got some pics in my garage if you want a few ideas.

Daves mods are the first thing I did and remove smog. Thanks Dave !
Then gearing, a good rear tire (TerraFlex baby!!!) from onoffroad.com was in order, getting a bigger tank became essential after a few long rides. and yada yada..the list goes on.

Keep an eye on Ebay for some good deals and through members here. Thanks MGS :thumbsup:

Your bike will really kick ass when modded properly.

I run Pro-Taper CRF/High bend with the riser adapters, and they are a sweet controlling the bike is much easier, highly recomended.

On my 2nd Terraflex and got over 1800mi on my first one. And you can point this thing at any hill you got the balls to tackle offroad and it will hook up and get you to the top.

Have fun and welcome to TT

where did you get the taillight ?i love that tire do you think it will work well in the east?

• pgiinc

Posted September 06, 2006 - 06:04 AM

Guys I want a flush mount tail light that provid light for the license plate to please give me a link
I am not going to change suspension parts at this point but what should I do
put the max air in 6lb? and set the damping were? all the way?
thanks

• kelleyseiler

Posted September 06, 2006 - 05:09 PM

Where did you buy your 07? I bought my 06 from criswell honda in Gaithersburg. They gave me the best deal in 100 miles. I got it there for $5700. on the road. Here is a pic of her now.
http://i43.photobuck...eiler/XRL06.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pgiinc

Posted September 06, 2006 - 05:20 PM

Honda House in Richmond Va
I beat him up and only got $100 off $5749.00 2007

• justicedone

Posted September 06, 2006 - 07:19 PM

My tail light is from www.fourstokesonly.com and I would reccomend the terraflex to anyone doing 60% or more dirt. You only need to trim the plastic chain guard inside edge on the top. The stock chain will fit fine with 14/48 gears.

• pgiinc

Posted September 07, 2006 - 07:00 PM

I have not received any of the mods i ordered yet but my impression so far is very hard to warm up and even when warm will not take the throttle, it hesitates, Tires and worthless in the dirt of course I expected that, I have ordered MT21's and 1st to second is crap off road unless you are in a straight line full throttle.
why does it not have a six speed and a closer ratio tranny?
I am just wondering weather Dave's mod will wake this thing up or should I just get a elderbrock or mikui carb? and trash this CV, same crap my Harley had.
got a super G on my Harley s&s

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 08, 2006 - 08:00 AM

I have not received any of the mods i ordered yet but my impression so far is very hard to warm up and even when warm will not take the throttle, it hesitates, Tires and worthless in the dirt of course I expected that, I have ordered MT21's and 1st to second is crap off road unless you are in a straight line full throttle.
why does it not have a six speed and a closer ratio tranny?
I am just wondering weather Dave's mod will wake this thing up or should I just get a elderbrock or mikui carb? and trash this CV, same crap my Harley had.
got a super G on my Harley s&s

The dave mods greatly improve the throttle response and tractability, and the snorkel/airfilter work improves breathing a bit, but the power gain is not very large.

Dave

• justicedone

Posted September 08, 2006 - 02:16 PM

14/48 gearing is solid for offroading, and you can still cruise 80mph all day on highways

closes the hideous 1-2 gap and you can almost come to a dead stop in 2nd gear, then throttle through with torque when hill climbing etc.

• pgiinc

Posted September 08, 2006 - 08:36 PM

what is the stock gearing ?
and of course do you have a linky to the 14/48 tooth sprokets
thanks

• justicedone

Posted September 08, 2006 - 09:43 PM

I think, if I remember right 15/45 is stock gearing. I bought mine direct from local dealer, Sunstar brand.

• pgiinc

Posted September 09, 2006 - 11:16 AM

now what will I have to do to the chain with 14/48 sproket?

• pgiinc

Posted September 10, 2006 - 09:09 AM

Thanks some much for the info i have recived her
I just finished Daves mod and what a big differance it now take the throttle with no hesataion and runs much better/smoother starts better .warms up faster/ runs cooler
Desnorkeled
Desmoged (left charcoal canister and linens just block of one going to carb and black of the one in bottom of air box)
Uni filter
Daves mod
I shall be mounting some pirill MT21 front and rear and I will see how it goes from there

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.