How far have you gone on one tank?

17 replies to this topic
  • FlameDog

Posted September 04, 2006 - 07:33 AM

i just went out the other day with a full tank,
it was mostly 3-5 gear riding with gobs of wheelies, sand/whoops, open quad trail stuff, i hit reserve at 60 miles,

how far can you go on tight stuff?

• XRYoda

Posted September 04, 2006 - 09:06 AM

I have gone 60+ miles before hitting reserve. It is probably half fire road, half single track. I almost always lug the motor(using the low rpm torque) and think that I can probably go 70 miles on a tank. I have a 168 main in the bike.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 04, 2006 - 10:20 AM

I went 60 miles without hitting reserve. Tight single track, some fire roads, Stock '04 WR450 Tank, no TPS.

• kmalec

Posted September 04, 2006 - 10:34 AM

Has anyone purchased that Acerbis 6gal tank yet? I was thinking of it. I think its the biggest for around the same price as others, $224

• ccoiner

Posted September 04, 2006 - 05:23 PM

My club and I were putting on an West Coast Enduro and I ran out of gas and switched to reserve right at 55 miles.

We were doing lots of starts and stops, hanging arrows and pruning trees back and it was a very tight single track enduro, so there weren't really any places to get out of 3rd.

Hope that helps.

• windaddiction

Posted September 04, 2006 - 07:47 PM

i have the 6 galon on order.... do a search guys have it on thier '04s and up

• Desracer

Posted September 04, 2006 - 09:07 PM

I have the 3.5 gallon tank on my 05. It holds in a lot of heat as it drops down around the cylinder. In slow tight going it gets hot fast. I have tried engine ice and found it to help when moving but is worse at low speeds as it steams out. Heat tape to keep the header heat away from the tank, wrap the fuel lines with hi temp sleeves from Napa auto. Nothing like boiling gas in your tank to impress your riding buddies! I found that by running a larger exhaust tip than stock helps the heat get out. The last thing I have tired is a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket so the engine never works hard. It does cut down on top speed but I can live with plus 60 mph where I ride. Right now my bike is at 35 to 38 mpg and 120 mile trips can be done with gas left in the tank.

• johnnyjeep

Posted September 04, 2006 - 09:52 PM

I got about 190 miles the other day, but I did cheat. http://i114.photobuc...ep/55c4399e.jpg
Ive got the 6.6 gal tank. It takes getting used to. The holes in the side to let the air thru hit my knees, have to wear knee pads. The bike turns into a whole different bike with all that weight up top. I used to get 35mpg, then it dropped down to 25, but the last trip I got 30.

• Bamster

Posted September 05, 2006 - 02:42 AM

We were doing lots of starts and stops, hanging arrows and pruning trees back and it was a very tight single track enduro, so there weren't really any places to get out of 3rd.

Tight single track and you were in third ?
Who are you Ty Davis ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • darrylwt

Posted September 05, 2006 - 08:46 AM

I have the 3.5 gallon tank on my 05. It holds in a lot of heat as it drops down around the cylinder. In slow tight going it gets hot fast. I have tried engine ice and found it to help when moving but is worse at low speeds as it steams out. Heat tape to keep the header heat away from the tank, wrap the fuel lines with hi temp sleeves from Napa auto. Nothing like boiling gas in your tank to impress your riding buddies! I found that by running a larger exhaust tip than stock helps the heat get out. The last thing I have tired is a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket so the engine never works hard. It does cut down on top speed but I can live with plus 60 mph where I ride. Right now my bike is at 35 to 38 mpg and 120 mile trips can be done with gas left in the tank.

We need little electric fans in front of the radiators??? :thumbsup:

• J_DOGG

Posted September 05, 2006 - 10:41 AM

Street - over 100 miles.... keeping the front tire on the ground...all legal and safe....
Dirt - almost 100 miles... riding it like I stole it......

street legal with knobies - 04 wr450 with all the free mods.....

• klowens1

Posted September 05, 2006 - 10:46 AM

I have a yz400 and i've found that i consume about the same amount of fuel just putting around or riding hard. the difference is minute if any at all.

• FlameDog

Posted September 05, 2006 - 05:21 PM

60 miles is far enough for this ol' dog, for right now,

i have been told ims oversize tanks creat alot of heat,
as long as your sifftin at a buck twenty your alright,

i have seen the side saddle tank, that replaces the number plate but i don't have it in me yet to go that far :applause: :thumbsup:

• dirtysouth

Posted September 05, 2006 - 05:43 PM

I just keep a liter of gas in the pack..runher out and liter up for the ride back...actually I get tired of luggin the xtra and fill up sooner but about the best I get is 55+- and that aint really savin much either :thumbsup:

• BIGMatt

Posted September 06, 2006 - 01:30 PM

Ive gone as far as 80miles of single track, with reserve on a stock tank.

• MojaveThumper

Posted September 09, 2006 - 06:01 PM

WOW, how do you guys get that much MPG? I get 40 out of a tank before having to hit reserves. :thumbsup:

• johnnyjeep

Posted September 09, 2006 - 06:12 PM

your front tire got 40, your rear went about 200.

• bg10459

Posted September 09, 2006 - 08:49 PM

I consistently get between 35 and 40 mpg. With a 2.6 gallon tank that's 90-100 miles.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.