front brake

7 replies to this topic
  • burto644

Posted September 04, 2006 - 03:49 AM

g'day guys i ride a 98 yz400. my front brake line is still standard and ive seen a couple of bikes with cable run differently, down the inside of the fork which makes the cable straighter, i think the called it cr routing. does it make much difference? cheers sam

• ben_suhard

Posted September 04, 2006 - 06:15 AM

Yep, it makes the front brake better. The reason that the other Jap bikes don't have the CR routing is because Honda had a patent on it. Now the patent is timed out and the other Jap brands can do it. It's worth changing. Dr.D sells a kit for you to do it, or you should be able to order a kit at your local shop. I did it on a KLX250 once; I just bought a CR front brake hose and made up a bracket that bolted to the fork guard.

• burto644

Posted September 05, 2006 - 01:11 AM

thanks mate

• ben_suhard

Posted September 05, 2006 - 06:41 AM

No probs, I hope you get it sorted. If you do get another hose, make sure that the master cylinder is totally full, top(of course once it's all working lower the fluid to the correct height in the reservoir) and bottom, aswell as the caliper and hose when you connect everything up, otherwise any air pockets will prevent your brake working.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • burto644

Posted September 06, 2006 - 04:14 AM

so if i do it i have to replace the hose? im doing on my brothers rm 125 on saturday cos he wants it done. thanks for your help mate. where bouts in aus are you? im in coffs harbour. cheers sam

• RCannon

Posted September 06, 2006 - 04:23 AM

You will get better results by switching to a Nissin master cylinder. This can be from a CR honda, rm suzuki, or newer yz.

I went through the brake upgrades one step at a time. The brake line means very little if the rest of the system is up to snuff.

Lets say the cr style brake line improves performance 10%. A good front master improves the older yz/yzf's 50%.

• tammie

Posted September 06, 2006 - 05:09 AM

hey there, i have a 99 yz400 i did the cr routing too but i also got a steel braided front brake line that came with a bracket to hold the line to the front fork guard.........my front brake is amazing........

• ben_suhard

Posted September 06, 2006 - 08:45 AM

so if i do it i have to replace the hose? im doing on my brothers rm 125 on saturday cos he wants it done. thanks for your help mate. where bouts in aus are you? im in coffs harbour. cheers sam

Yep, the reason you'll get better performance with the CR routing is 'cause the line is shorter, which makes it firmer(less fluid) and more responsive. As RCannon said, it's probably only a 10% difference, but it's worth doing even if it's a small improvement. When I did it on the KLX, I went from a flexible hose(which was stock, and s'posed to be better for road use, but I think it was more dangerous 'cause it didn't stop you quick enough) to a steel braided line and the difference was huge! The MXers usually come standard(I think) with steel braided lines, so it won't be as much of an improvment on your bikes. Are you making your own brackets up? If you are, check out some of the newer bikes at the shop to see how they've done it. The bracket I made up was basically just some flat metal bent to go around the line, a bolt on each side, and some rubber in between for grip. Ballards (ph: 02 4731 1210) (they've got steel braided lines by themselves for $129 if you can't get one http://www.ballards....ils&content=106) are probably worth calling to see if they have a line and bracket kit, and they're usually pretty quick with postage, it should arrive in a day or two. I'm not sure of the pricing of the proper kits though.
I'm in Paralowie, South Oz. My local track is Gillman(the one they use for the Nationals that you might have seen on TV, but it's usually like riding on concrete when it's dry, which is most of the time, and like an ice skating rink when wet!), I prefer MX and travel to a few different tracks, but do a fair bit of trail/free riding too.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.