01 426 Carb Leaking Fuel

3 replies to this topic
  • shabbdaddy

Posted September 03, 2006 - 08:27 PM

I have a 2001 426 and fuel drips out the the overflow every time I stop the bike. It seems to be fine when the bike is running or when I shut of the fuel. What needs to be replaced?
Thanks for all your help.

• grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2006 - 09:37 PM

Look at the check valve in the gas cap vent hose. It's marked with an arrow that should be pointing toward the cap. If it's there, and pointed the wrong way, flip it around the right way. Otherwise replace it.

Or, are you talking about the carb overflow? If so, your float needle is dirty or worn, or your float could also be soaked (not very likely, though).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mj2412

Posted September 03, 2006 - 09:46 PM

Hello, i also ride a yz426f 01 and have the same problem. My float needle was worn, bought a new one and everything was perfect again. Change your oil. It is possible that fuel went trough the carb into the combustion chamber and then over the piston into the oil. Fuel in the oil won´t work out well. My oil was after 2 days of leaking without recognizing really thin.

• 2tall2tall

Posted September 04, 2006 - 08:27 AM

I used to have the same problem till I started turning the fuel petcock to off and draining all of the fuel out of the carb at the end of a day of riding. Since then, I never have had a problem. Letting the fuel remain in the carb does some ugly, corrosive things!

Also, be sure to use Stabil if you are going to store your bike for any amount of time. Better yet, drain all of the fuel from the tank, lines and carb to avoid problems. Fuel will actually decay the plastic that fuel tanks are made of, if stored over long periods of time.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.