Am I Hearing my Cam Chain?

7 replies to this topic
  • Troutman

Posted September 03, 2006 - 08:04 PM

This my sound weird but today I noticed a sound coming from the engine which I could swear is the cam chain spinning. Is this possible? Is it a bad thing? I never noticed it before and I am a little worried that it could be loose. I know the bike has an auto tensioner on the chain but I wonder why I can hear It now and not during the first 60 hrs. The bike still runs perfect so I am a little confused. Anyone have a similar experience or any possible insight.

• T H O R

Posted September 03, 2006 - 08:14 PM

Try checking it. Sure it's not major chain slap? Chain loosened up?

• Troutman

Posted September 03, 2006 - 08:30 PM

I don't think so, I think it does it on the stand, but I will be sure to check that. It sounds like a faint whistling and whizzing, or what I think a cam chain would sound like spinning, coming from the left side.

• grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2006 - 09:35 PM

They're noisey, and the aluminum frame doesn't help. But do this: see if the noise goes away when you pull in the clutch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Troutman

Posted September 04, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Good idea, i will try that next week. Don't know why I didn't think of that. :thumbsup:

• motobeck

Posted September 05, 2006 - 06:40 AM

Noticed a whirling noise in my 06 this weekend as well. Pulling the clutch doesn't make it stop, but does change the pitch considerably. I just figured it was normal noises coming from the clutch... at least I'm hoping it is normal???

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2006 - 09:58 AM

There is a noise that all YZF's, and many others make that is the sound of the gear box being rattled around by the engine at idle. Gas engines don't really idle at a steady speed unless they have a lot of cylinders and huge flywheels. Those with fewer cylinders will accelerate at each power stroke, and decelerate at each compression stroke. The trans then becomes somewhat like a loose load in a pickup truck in traffic.

Normally, this noise will be reduced or eliminated by pulling the clutch in, depending on how cleanly the clutch releases. Putting the bike in gear should stop it altogether.

Note that the primary gears are straight cut, though, so they will produce some whining, whirring, or howling sounds all the time.

• rdefonce

Posted September 07, 2006 - 08:56 AM

This my sound weird but today I noticed a sound coming from the engine which I could swear is the cam chain spinning. Is this possible? Is it a bad thing? I never noticed it before and I am a little worried that it could be loose. I know the bike has an auto tensioner on the chain but I wonder why I can hear It now and not during the first 60 hrs. The bike still runs perfect so I am a little confused. Anyone have a similar experience or any possible insight.

If you've got a lot of time on the motor, then the cam chain could be stretched beyond the tensioner's adjustment. Or possibly the tensioner is not doing its job correctly . . . . these scenarios are not likely though, given your bike is an '06 (unless you've ridden the wheels off it since new!)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.