2001 yz426 problem

30 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2006 - 07:19 AM

An exhaust leak can cause the popping, but none of the performance issues you mention.

• GONE1445

Posted September 10, 2006 - 02:50 PM

ok thanx

• Yama4Stroker

Posted September 11, 2006 - 12:56 PM

Could be wrong here, but thought I would throw this out as well. The 400's had a problem with the slide plate in the carb cracking, and eventually breaking off into the motor. But a crack in slide would also create a lean condition. I believe this was fixed for the 426's, just another option.

• GONE1445

Posted September 16, 2006 - 07:51 PM

thanks for the info but I had the carb apart and checked everything over with a fine tooth comb and nothing little dirty but sprayed it all out with carb cleaner

I took the carb apart, new plug, new springs(Not relavent to motor but throwin it out there), ready filter(questioning that now gotta check tomorrow), and cables are still not here

and I finally got it back together and it still does the same thing when choke is on it idles really high and pops alot and I havent run it enough to really get it warm since it first did this

could it be the valves?? I am gonna try and check them tomorrow

• SureBlue

Posted September 16, 2006 - 10:44 PM

It sounds like you have the throttle slide upside down, but you said you haven't touched anything since you bought the bike :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GONE1445

Posted September 17, 2006 - 01:25 PM

yea

and how should the throttle slide be

that half moon shape curve like cut in the one end goes on the bottom right??

I did take the slide out but I didn't take the needle out or anything so I am 99% sure its in there right side up

gonna take carb back off and check everything once again maybe I missed somethin

and how do you adjust the throttle cable's ?? like how much slack should there be??

• grayracer513

Posted September 17, 2006 - 05:32 PM

that half moon shape curve like cut in the one end goes on the bottom right??

Yes, and facing to the air filter. The spring plate on the slide faces the engine. It can also be inverted inadvertantly. The small hole belongs in the bottom.

and how do you adjust the throttle cable's ?? like how much slack should there be??

1-3 mm if I remember right. Try it with the bars turned in several positions.

• GONE1445

Posted September 17, 2006 - 06:23 PM

Yes, and facing to the air filter. The spring plate on the slide faces the engine. It can also be inverted inadvertantly. The small hole belongs in the bottom.

1-3 mm if I remember right. Try it with the bars turned in several positions.

is the spring plate that plate that sits on the front of the slide and if its upside down will it cause any of my symtoms

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:57 AM

Inverted spring plates cause the bike to run very rich at and just off idle, up to about 1/4 throttle. Doesn't sound like your problem.

• GONE1445

Posted September 18, 2006 - 06:48 PM

well I think I fixed it

I took the jets out and found a little piece of rubber(looks like part of a balloon) in there so I got that out and put it back together now she starts fine and idles good on choke don't have the room to warm it up at my grandpa's so I'll test that soon

it still pop's tho I think the exhaust gasket is worn out will that cause it??

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2006 - 08:39 PM

it still pop's tho I think the exhaust gasket is worn out will that cause it??

It could if it's loose and leaking air. 1-3 pops on decel means the pilot jet and screw are just right, IMO.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 3 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.