I know I should never be second,,, but how do you protect your headlight?

12 replies to this topic
  • FlameDog

Posted September 03, 2006 - 02:00 PM

i know i have no excuse, i should never let anyone by, but hey it was another wr450! lol
i tucked in just behing him on a narrow spot, and then WHAMM! KERPLIK!!

(cool sound effects eh?)

what can a guy do to save this $125 (canadian) complete only assembly

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted September 03, 2006 - 02:03 PM

You could try putting clear Lexan over your headlight (2-3 mm thick). Let the rocks break THAT instead of your headlight assy.

• Bamster

Posted September 03, 2006 - 03:34 PM

They come up on e-bay often enough.
Get another one there and don't worry about it ,chances are it will never happen again.
I hate the way Yamaha sells some of their parts bundled with other parts.
I need the little white odometer drive at the axle and I have to buy the seal, the spacer with it's inner gear and the part I need at the tune of 135.00. The white plastic gear is what is supposed to wear and you can't get it separately.

• trailordune

Posted September 03, 2006 - 04:20 PM

baja designs makes a nice stainless wire mesh guard that fits perfect over our headlights. I've had problems with other baja designs parts like their license plate bracket but this guard is a peach and it was cheap, unlike a new light.

• FlameDog

Posted September 04, 2006 - 07:06 AM

merci

• k69mj

Posted September 04, 2006 - 01:24 PM

Hope this helps:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pops 56

Posted September 05, 2006 - 02:11 AM

We buy them of ebay .Work a treat.
http://i47.photobuck...56/100_6012.jpg

• FlameDog

Posted September 05, 2006 - 05:26 PM

wow, that just cost me a wack of cabbage!

i have already started diverting the beer money towards one of those
baja designs 8" hids, that is all sex!
for now i will haywire something up like i have seen here, thanx guys!
https://www.bajadesi...2.aspx?content= check it out :thumbsup:

• fershy

Posted September 05, 2006 - 09:24 PM

3M sells a thick clear adhesive film that you can apply right over the glass. Withstands some pretty good impacts. Unfortunately I applied this film as a reactionary measure after having a rock pierce the glass. The upside is that the film sealed off the pinhole sized chip. I purchased mine at an automotive detail shop.
fershy

• Rooster426

Posted September 09, 2006 - 05:08 PM

They come up on e-bay often enough.
Get another one there and don't worry about it ,chances are it will never happen again.
I hate the way Yamaha sells some of their parts bundled with other parts.
I need the little white odometer drive at the axle and I have to buy the seal, the spacer with it's inner gear and the part I need at the tune of 135.00. The white plastic gear is what is supposed to wear and you can't get it separately.

Sorry 'bout the hijack, but I need the same part!! That cheap plastic gear does what it's supposed to (work then wear out), but Yamaha will not sell just that gear! I've been doing a few dual sport rides and depending on the electronic GPS doesn't always work (lose reception, gps turns off 'cause its too rough etc..) I miss the mechanical odometer!! If anyone else has a solution let me know. :thumbsup:

• MojaveThumper

Posted September 09, 2006 - 05:58 PM

We buy them of ebay .Work a treat.
http://i47.photobuck...56/100_6012.jpg

That bike is waaaaaaaayyyyy to clean. Needs some DIRT. :thumbsup:

• pops 56

Posted September 10, 2006 - 01:12 AM

That bike is waaaaaaaayyyyy to clean. Needs some DIRT. :thumbsup:

Bike might be clean. But wife says ,A dirty old man rides It. :applause:

• Looks450

Posted September 10, 2006 - 03:08 AM

3M sells a thick clear adhesive film that you can apply right over the glass. Withstands some pretty good impacts. Unfortunately I applied this film as a reactionary measure after having a rock pierce the glass. The upside is that the film sealed off the pinhole sized chip. I purchased mine at an automotive detail shop.
fershy

This is the go. Those plastic covers do jack shit. i put one on my bike as a precautionary measure after i heard about the replacem,ent cost, and didn't stop the rock that did mine in. :thumbsup: Instead i replaced the glass with a perspex lense and siliconed it into the headlight, never broke it again, but when it comes time to sell, mabey i'll get a new one. Now that adhesive film is the go. It notonly protects from scrathes, it'll stop the biggest rock as it has some give and can absorb the impact some.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.