My 06 is stinky! whew... or help, the search is disabled :(

32 replies to this topic
  • Reyndogg

Posted September 05, 2006 - 12:12 PM

I've replaced the OEM and cleaned my scotts 15 times according to my log...im 99.99% sure that all o-rings are in place, and it didn't lose enough oil to notice on the stick Sat. after running for almost an hour. It can't hurt to check them again, though.

I think i'll put in some Amsoil too, just to rule oil out.

• adamdf

Posted September 05, 2006 - 01:54 PM

I noticed my o-ring was missing when i was riding the bike and i actually smelt oil, stopped and took a look and saw oil on my frame under the oil filter. If you are not noticing any oil there then you may not have lost an o-ring but i would still check.

• Reyndogg

Posted September 06, 2006 - 04:40 PM

OK...

cleaned bike with water only, wiped down real well, dropped rotella oil out, cleaned oil filter, etc, and filled with Silkolene R4 synthetic. Measured and pulled check bolt and measured again. Oil level perfect in the middle of zone on dipstick. All o-rings are good to go and in place. cleaned bike again to make sure no oil on engine - skid-plate removed, cleaned under motor etc etc...probably most anal cleaning I've done.

Smell is still there, coming from crank case breather mainly, but seems to be much less apparent than it was the other day. However, this is only at my house. Can't really run it enough to get the heat up to race conditions, and i will not just let it idle that long.

I'll update this when i get more info.

• airmanloco

Posted September 07, 2006 - 09:10 AM

From your last description sounds like the oil your where using did have something to do with it. Will be interesting to see if smell persist after getting a few hours on that new oil. If the smell is very distinctive you could burn some of the old oil, like dripping a little bit on a hot metal surface and some of the new stuff and see if you can identify the smell as being the same. Just don't asphyxiate yourself, haha. :thumbsup:

• Reyndogg

Posted September 16, 2006 - 11:15 AM

Well, no smell with Silkolene R4 AND the works connection skid plate removed/stock put back in place. I can't image there's any conneciton to the skidplate, though, but who knows. My room mate, same bike, runs shell oil and his never had smell issue.

His bike still on stock clutch, mine has had the clutch pack replaced once. My clutch actuator arm is a bit further back than his, both with plenty of slack at the lever.

• Reyndogg

Posted September 19, 2006 - 05:36 AM

I can't decide if this is funny or not but...

My room mate finally crossed 50hrs on his 06 YZ450F and he just told me that it stunk pretty bad the last time he rode it :thumbsup:

beware the 50hr stink!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted September 19, 2006 - 06:56 AM

60 hours on my '06 with no stink and works connection skid-plate installed....;-)

• Reyndogg

Posted September 19, 2006 - 11:02 AM

It well could be that oil we use man, I really can't figure it out. It's really bizzare :lame:

I'm gonna run some different oil for a while and see how it goes...only thing I can blame this on right now is that rotella oil :thumbsup:

• Wreckless250F

Posted September 19, 2006 - 05:17 PM

You said you were on your second clutch pack? Did you replace the pressure plate and inner hub? My buddy had a nasty oil smell coming from his crankcase breather and it was caused from his clutch slipping, generating a ton of heat. Pop off the clutch cover and look at the plates. Easy to do and free as long as you can save the gasket or replace it.

• dangwartz

Posted September 20, 2006 - 05:19 AM

In your first post your friend said "dude your bike smells like it's burning something". If it smells like your oil is burning, and there is no evidence of oil on the exhaust system or engine, then I would have to wonder about the quality of the oil. I've dribbled oil on a hot exhaust manifold and it smokes. So, if you're not seeing smoke or oil leaks, then the oil in your engine is breaking down, causing the burnt smell. The manual says to use "(Non-Friction modified)" motor oil and "additives could cause clutch slippage". Could it be that the oil you were using is causing the clutch to slip, then to overheat, resulting in the burnt oil smell?

• grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2006 - 08:21 AM

I The manual says to use "(Non-Friction modified)" motor oil and "additives could cause clutch slippage". Could it be that the oil you were using is causing the clutch to slip, then to overheat, resulting in the burnt oil smell?

Rotella is not an EC II oil, so, no.

• Reyndogg

Posted September 20, 2006 - 09:01 AM

If it smells like your oil is burning, and there is no evidence of oil on the exhaust system or engine, then I would have to wonder about the quality of the oil. I've dribbled oil on a hot exhaust manifold and it smokes. So, if you're not seeing smoke or oil leaks, then the oil in your engine is breaking down, causing the burnt smell.

This is exactly what I'm thinking is going on. I have not noted this issue with Silkolene synthetic oil that's in there right now. This may well have me convinced that I need to use a higher quality oil after using rotella for years :thumbsup:

• WFOracer

Posted September 20, 2006 - 09:37 AM

What kind of oil are you using? I know that some of the Rotella oil guys get a nasty smell from it. Do a search, I think RedBeard brought it up on the yz450 forum before.

:thumbsup: :lame:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.