how often do you replace throttle cables??

7 replies to this topic
  • Ztard

Posted September 02, 2006 - 05:05 PM

I just picked up a "low hour" 2002 yz426f. As I am doing som random maint I noticed the throttle cables are starting to fray near the carb. How many hours wears out cables?? Or better yet front wheel bearings how long should this stuff last? If you didn't figure already I 'm a bit new to the dirtbike wolrd.

• barch88

Posted September 02, 2006 - 08:25 PM

As long as the cables are in good shape, keep them lubed, you shouldn't need to replace them, however, since your's are starting to fray apart, I would replace them. As for wheel bearings, or all bearings for that matter (wheels, steering stem, and linkage), as long as you keep them greased up, they should last, if you feel the need they should be replaced, replace them. I would go through and lube them really good though, even if it is a "low hour bike" he may not have, and from the Factory, they come with little to no grease.

Here are a couple good write ups for this:

http://www.transworl...1012822,00.html
http://www.transworl...,663693,00.html

• Satch0922

Posted September 03, 2006 - 05:06 AM

yep...if they are fraying near the carb (which is very common) get rid of them. When you get the new ones, make sure you align them on the wheel in the carb. You can do this by looking straight down the line of site where there cables go into and over the wheel....make sure they are straight and not binding before you tighten down the retaining nut.

BTW...the TT store has good pricing on cables ...bought mine for my YZF there

http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=458

• ben_suhard

Posted September 03, 2006 - 09:46 AM

I noticed the throttle cables are starting to fray near the carb. How many hours wears out cables??

The return cable on the KTM I used to own was worn about half way through with 90hrs use, but the pull cable was fine. It's a good thing you checked the cables, keep an eye on those, very important!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ztard

Posted September 03, 2006 - 04:02 PM

yep...if they are fraying near the carb (which is very common) get rid of them. When you get the new ones, make sure you align them on the wheel in the carb. You can do this by looking straight down the line of site where there cables go into and over the wheel....make sure they are straight and not binding before you tighten down the retaining nut.

BTW...the TT store has good pricing on cables ...bought mine for my YZF there

http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=458

Does that price include throttle and return cable IE 2 cables???

• Satch0922

Posted September 03, 2006 - 04:47 PM

yes...that is both cables.

• Wyatt

Posted September 03, 2006 - 07:20 PM

If you have a YZF prior to '03 you need to take a look at the cables. The cables on the pre '03 carbs were a little more prone to not having the cables aligned perfectly and they would fray over time. I remember a lot more post back then about frayed cables.

The newer carbs don't seem to have this problem as much, but it is always a good idea to lube and inspect the cables regularly. A stuck throttle because of a frayed cable can ruin you day, weekend, month or more.

• 642MX

Posted September 03, 2006 - 08:07 PM

I just replaced my cables earlier this year after seeing that they where frayed near the carb. I bought OEM cables, I figured they would last longer than a Motion Pro.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.