Rode an 07 CRF, 06 KXF, 06 YZF. A detailed report

18 replies to this topic
  • 700MX

Posted September 02, 2006 - 06:50 AM

There is really no way to truly know which bike is best for you unless you ride all of them! I did all the e research possible, and ended up even more unsure! So through past and present shop sponsors, I was able to demo these three! I race MX, top 3 Vet A, Top 10 250A, and am the pickiest MF on the planet! 185, 6'

I am posting this because I found a few great posts, but most were biased to brand loyalty! This one, I assure you, is not!

07 CRF 450 Brakes They were really good, the front was actually better than last year. The low end transitional snap was great! I did cut out over some jumps though, which pissed me off! The motor was a monster, the torque is much greater than the yz, but not the "snap". The susp was really soft with really light rebound dampening. I did not like it. I was really not excited about this bike. my 06 really felt similar, and with 22mm clamps, it turned better. You should be excited to get your new bike every year!

06 KXF 450 (under 10 hrs) Immediately suprised at how good it felt! The motor was snappy, reved out really far. Brakes were ok, a touch grabby. The layout was perfect for me. 6'. The suspension worked great in small chop. I will tell you though over large jumps it was terrible! it was so springy. there was a 80' triple that i had to hit so slow to not over jump it. I had to hit it so slow, to not get "sprung" well past the landing. I did everything to try to adjust the susp, and this was the case over every major jump. I read the kawi forum, and they said there were bikes with broken dampener rods, well i think this was one of them. I really did not like the gearing. the gap, for me was much to big between 2 & 3.

06 yzf 450 (under 10 hrs) Looking at the bike, I thought it might be a big or heavy feeling on the track (maybe because my brain associated it with an 05). I was very wrong. This bike was so light feeling around the track! In the air, corners, it felt so light! I tracked ruts great, got great front end traction, BUT i found myself forcing it to turn often. not sliding out, but forcing it to turn (i did raise the forks 5mm). the gearing for me was ok, I would definately add one or two teeth to bring third gear into play on more corners. The power was great! very.......lively, power to the groundish. not a monster, but a GREAT ridable, well carborated feel! The suspention on the bike was the best stock bike i have ever ridden. after a little time with the clickers, and getting the sag set (which was VERY sensitive) I really could not belive how good i had it working. The bike felt lower to me, more hooked up than the others.

Well here is my OPINON, the YZF "shoe" fit me best.

You know that hooked up, one with the bike feel that makes you very confident on the track? I only got that from one bike, the yzf. The kxf had me feeling good in the corners, but that was it. I think something was wrong with the forks. I have ridden hondas for two years, have a GREAT shop sponsor, and am giving that up because I just dont have the confident "feel" at race pace pushing in the crf. It is twitchy, and I skate the corners. My CRF is set up, belive me, I love honda quality, but i could not belive how much "better" i felt on the yami.
I ended up thinking the kxf would be sweet with some suspention work, but after reading and hearing about all the problems, motor & seal & this and that, I just did not feel I wanted to take a chance.

I am getting my 07 yzf next week, if it shows up on time! The yzf is reliable, it feels hooked up at the track, has a great motor, and killer stock susp. It feels so light, I felt like i could confidently charge the entire track on this bike!

Hopefully this helps riders in the same dilema i was in........crf, yzf, or kxf!

Late

• grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2006 - 07:43 AM

This bike was so light feeling around the track! In the air, corners, it felt so light! ... The power was great! very.......lively, power to the groundish. ... The suspention on the bike was the best stock bike i have ever ridden. after a little time with the clickers, and getting the sag set (which was VERY sensitive) I really could not belive how good i had it working. The bike felt lower to me, more hooked up than the others.
....You know that hooked up, one with the bike feel that makes you very confident on the track? I only got that from one bike, the yzf.

That's what I'm talking about. :thumbsup: That's what brings your lap times down and keeps you from getting fatigued in long races. 'Couldn't agree more.

• Huckster

Posted September 02, 2006 - 07:46 AM

nice report. I am buying an '07 450 but really cant decide. Your report helps. I would have loved it if you had the chance to ride a RMZ as well during the comparison. I have a '05 RMZ and I really like it and its been totally reliable, so it makes it hard to choose. I think that whatever color you go in '07 you wont be disappointed.

• NYMXer

Posted September 02, 2006 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for sharing your findings and good luck w/ the new bike 700MX. :thumbsup:

• str8liner

Posted September 02, 2006 - 01:52 PM

Nice report. Thanks.

• jamiehughes

Posted September 02, 2006 - 07:54 PM

where in colo are you getting an 07 next week? i'm not wanting to buy one, i just got my 06. just interested to see who has the new bikes first.. what track did you get to ride all the bikes at??

• 700MX

Posted September 02, 2006 - 08:18 PM

where in colo are you getting an 07 next week? i'm not wanting to buy one, i just got my 06. just interested to see who has the new bikes first.. what track did you get to ride all the bikes at??

My Shop is TNT in laramie, you should check them out for future buys. I can get you a hook up!

I rode Berthoud, and a true test of if a bike really works, Miliken!

• jamiehughes

Posted September 02, 2006 - 08:47 PM

when did you ride berthoud? we were there today and the track(both of them)were pretty sweet. they tilled and watered both front and back tracks. i used to love racing at milliken, but you never knew when they would be open for practice. that track was definetely a fun track for novices and pros. were gonna head to the old standby sunday(watkins) its close, cheap, sometimes the track is in good shape. as for the hookup thanks but vickery takes care of me just fine. i have absolutely 0 complaints about those guys and i've been using them since 1996. i do hope that you can get your bike when they promised it to you. i have heard stories about delays. :applause: lets hope that they come through for you. i'd like to see an 07 out there and see how it does. maybe we'll see you out there some time, just look for the biggest,fattest guy out there on an 06 yz450 and that will probably be me. :thumbsup:

• ben_suhard

Posted September 03, 2006 - 11:14 PM

Well here is my OPINON, the YZF "shoe" fit me best.

Did you do any lap timing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe_Jet

Posted September 04, 2006 - 11:10 AM

nice report. I am buying an '07 450 but really cant decide. Your report helps. I would have loved it if you had the chance to ride a RMZ as well during the comparison. I have a '05 RMZ and I really like it and its been totally reliable, so it makes it hard to choose. I think that whatever color you go in '07 you wont be disappointed.

I have the 06 RMZ 450 and my buddy just bought the 06 YZ450. I rode the YZ at Glen Helen and Perris. There is no comparison. The suspension on the YZ is light years ahead of the Showa on the RMZ. The bottom on the YZ felt a little softer, but it was stock and my bike has the FMF Factory carbon 4.1 on it and no filter screen. I think the YZ's pilot is also a little lean. I had no issues with turning the YZ. I think the light feel of the YZ makes it turn just as well as the Suzuki.

• ben_suhard

Posted September 04, 2006 - 11:56 AM

my bike has the FMF Factory carbon 4.1 on it and no filter screen.

Are you using a fire-resistant filter?

• 700MX

Posted September 04, 2006 - 06:09 PM

Did you do any lap timing?

I did not, and can confidently say I dont think my laps at race pace are any faster on the yzf than others. On the yzf I felt I did not have to "push the limit", skate, and take a chance or two like i do on my crf. I also can pass much easier on the yzf because I can find traction where i could not on the crf.

My "comfort zone" is much higher on the YZF.....which once adjusted to I am sure my lap times will come down a hair below the CRF

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2006 - 07:16 PM

I did not, and can confidently say I dont think my laps at race pace are any faster on the yzf than others. On the yzf I felt I did not have to "push the limit", skate, and take a chance or two like i do on my crf. I also can pass much easier on the yzf because I can find traction where i could not on the crf.

I'll tell you right now, I'm way faster on the '06 than the '03. And I know we're not comparing an '03 here, but just the same, one of the things I love about the new bike is that I can go anywhere I want with it; inside, outside, anywhere. It's like it wants to do what I want. I haven't ever ridden another MX bike like it. It's like my old B50 with suspension and 10 more horsepower.

Today, a friend of ours who is on the Honda B team rode my son's '06....

He wants one.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 05, 2006 - 05:38 AM

I'll tell you right now, I'm way faster on the '06 than the '03. And I know we're not comparing an '03 here, but just the same, one of the things I love about the new bike is that I can go anywhere I want with it; inside, outside, anywhere. It's like it wants to do what I want. I haven't ever ridden another MX bike like it. It's like my old B50 with suspension and 10 more horsepower.

Today, a friend of ours who is on the Honda B team rode my son's '06....

He wants one.

Well I will say I can ride my 03 as fast as my 06.....just only for a shorter time.....that 470 really wears you out quick.....but man on a straight line....it eats my 06 for lunch.....the 06 does everything else so much easier than the 03.

• BergArabia

Posted September 05, 2006 - 05:57 AM

Great Report.
I am definitely going to replace my 05 with an 07, 08 0r .. whatever when the time comes.
But it is so darned tough and reliable that might be some time away...

• rcmxracing

Posted September 05, 2006 - 01:05 PM

Nice report, I've ridden 05 CRF450's, and RMZ's and overall the YZF is a much, much sweeter ride. I bought one, not sorry I did. About the turning, I agree: It does do what you tell it to, but I feel like I have to really "make it" turn, not a huge effort but a concious one. It goes where it's pointed. You really have to concentrate on looking at your exit, focus on the fender and you will end up blowing the turn - same can be said for any bike I guess. OMG, it loves SX type berms with or without ruts, I guess most bikes do. The motor is SO FUN, the most 2 stroke like 4 stroke I've ever ridden. The suspension has saved my ass so many times when over or under jumping. I weigh 180, 5'10, Vet B rider and although the fork is the best I've ever had, when set up for chuck holes and chop it seems to bottom too easily and then harsh if you turn in compression. I'm picky for sure.
Has anyone heard if they have changed the head angle on the 07 YZF 450? I read about the longer shock which will change the geometry. I plan on getting some offset clamps, there's a thread on TT. Probably going with 22.5, curious what Dr. D runs. Applied claims that 24's are the way to go. Stock is 25mm. RG3 has 22's, but that may be a bit much and man are they $$$.

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2006 - 02:36 PM

Has anyone heard if they have changed the head angle on the 07 YZF 450?

Yes, it's steeper. Don't know how much, but while the bike will probably continue to be sensitive to sag adjustments, it will probably not require the forks to be pulled up any longer. At least, that's my guess.

Applied arrived at their recommendations for triple clamps on the '06 YZF's through blind testing, which makes sense to me. What the consensus of the test group was at the end of the session is what they went with, so while it's the opinion of a group of riders, rather than that of one engineer or a particular testing staff. Still, it's no guaranty that you'll agree with them. IMO, the bike works exceptionally well as is, and until I rode one with a different offset, I'd be hard pressed to put up $400 or so for a set of clamps. A Rekluse E-Axle would be a way to find out.

• aford541

Posted September 05, 2006 - 08:24 PM

I installed a storm link that raises the rear of the bike 11mm which is about 5mm more than the 1.5mm longer shock will raise it so I set the bike up with 105 mm of sag, it turns alot better than before.
I had the forks sild up about 2mm past the line and the front tire would hit the fender in a few spots.
On really fast stuff I was not super comfortable so I slid the fork tubes up about 3mm and it seems better.

• kylwk1500

Posted October 31, 2006 - 08:18 AM

great write up on the comparison

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.