Ethanol

21 replies to this topic
  • HawaiianStyle

Posted September 01, 2006 - 10:16 PM

Anyone out there having carb issues with the new ethanol blend fuel?

My WR450 and my sons TTR 125 are burping and very difficult to fire.

• gregwr450f

Posted September 02, 2006 - 04:27 AM

I use a blend and never have a problem.

• viper77

Posted September 02, 2006 - 04:21 PM

I've heard from a friend that works in a Yamaha shop that they are seeing problems with the ethanol. The biggest thing they are seeing is in bikes that have been sitting for a couple of weeks having issues with the float valves not seating correctly and/or going bad.

• HawaiianStyle

Posted September 03, 2006 - 12:33 AM

That sounds about right. I've got no fuel in the bowl and have taken apart the lower end of the carb cleaning the jets but still no fire in the beast.

Bike goes in to the dealer Tuesday. I will post the results for anyone who cares.

• Chickenhauler

Posted September 03, 2006 - 01:00 AM

Ethanol does seem to gum up much faster than pure gas, I try to find stations that sell the non-ethanol fuel for use in small engines, collecter cars, etc for fuel for my toys and mowers.
Try cleaning the carb thouroughly, making sure that you have good fuel flow from the petcock to the carb, and replace with fresh gas, the garbage we are being sold has a very short shelf life. Make sure the jets, needle and seat are free from any residue, use spray carb cleaner and compressed air to ensure that the jets are free from any blockage.

Good Luck, and we do care, thats why we try to help! (but we aren't always right)

• GasBoySun

Posted September 03, 2006 - 07:08 AM

I let my 450 sit for sometimes 2 or 3 weeks at a time along with my girlfriends TT-R 230, they crank a little but always start. I only use 93 octane and only Shell, Mobile, or Exxon. I've found that these suppliers burn extremely clean and I have the least amount of problems with them. I know all these suppliers add ethanol to their fuel. So before sending it to the shop at $70 plus an hour try that.

• HawaiianStyle

Posted September 03, 2006 - 09:21 AM

Thanks, I think it is the fact that the bike has been sitting for a couple of weeks with stale gas in it. I did the carb cleaner and compressed air bit and removed and cleaned each jet.

Thankfully my buddy owns the Yamaha shop here so the labor rate is greatly reduced.

• pkcof

Posted September 04, 2006 - 01:16 AM

i have no intention of using ethanol fuel in my bike unless it an absolute necessity and after just reading an article in a 'road bike' mag (i was waiting in line for a hair cut) - Yamaha (Australia) does not endorse the use of ethanol in any of it's bikes ... that about sums it up for me !!

• Luxin

Posted September 04, 2006 - 02:23 AM

It is unfortunate for me my local servo has 95 & 98 Ethanol blends and regular 92RON unleaded...

I only use regular unleaded so far because of the arguments for and against ethanol. So far it appears fuel companies and Govt Depts recommend Ethanol where as the local mechanics and motor companies do not.

• mike_dean

Posted September 04, 2006 - 04:42 AM

I stay away from ethanol in all my vehicles, we have several NO ETHANOL advertised stations around here so I'm lucky. I also drain my carb every time after a ride, it seems that the ethanol fuel turns bad very fast and within 2 weeks my modified 426 won't start unless I drain fuel and refill. I have also added lead additive to my race bikes for valve protection and slight octane boost. Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted September 04, 2006 - 06:26 AM

Pump gas is horrible. I haven't used it in over 3 years. I use nothing but Citgo race fuel in sealed containers. Its leaded to protect my valves and my bike always runs the same with every can of fuel.

IMO, pump fuel is for cars.

• GCannon

Posted September 05, 2006 - 08:54 AM

There is an allen screw at the bottom of the carburetor float bowl. It can be accessed from the left side of the bike. Drain the carburetor after riding and before storing this will cut down on the frequency of carburetor removal and cleaning. I belive the TTR has a similar set up.

• J_DOGG

Posted September 05, 2006 - 10:36 AM

I'm up here in the east coast and can't find non blended gas...around my area....

Can we put anything in this ethanol blended gas to reduce or get rid of the problem??

Like Fuel stabilizer????
will that work or is something better available????

I just replaced my valve needle for this exact reason, it got stuck and would not let gas flow... I'd like to avoid doing it again any time soon.

• PfM

Posted September 05, 2006 - 02:10 PM

From Yamaha Australia website:
https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/ssl/

Q. Are Yamaha Motorcycles, ATV's and SSV's designed to operate on Ethanol Blended Fuels.

No. All current and previous models are NOT designed for Ethanol Blended Fuels at any percentage. (ie. E5 5% and E10 10%).

If Ethanol Blended Fuels are used you may experience driveability and running problems, fuel component deterioration and damage due to moisture.

Cheers

• dirtysouth

Posted September 05, 2006 - 05:46 PM

Pump gas is horrible. I haven't used it in over 3 years. I use nothing but Citgo race fuel in sealed containers. Its leaded to protect my valves and my bike always runs the same with every can of fuel.

IMO, pump fuel is for cars.

Dude...quit buying from Citgo...they hate america and every dollar that you give em is gonna pay you back with bombs or something :thumbsup:

• dirtysouth

Posted September 05, 2006 - 05:50 PM

IF you guys are trying to save a buck try out the KLR diesel.... :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
http://www.m1030.com/models.htm

Claiming 102 mpg :applause:

• 642MX

Posted September 05, 2006 - 06:28 PM

Dude...quit buying from Citgo...they hate america and every dollar that you give em is gonna pay you back with bombs or something :thumbsup:

Get real bro. Buying Citgo race fuel has nothing to do with a terrorist strike.

• HawaiianStyle

Posted September 06, 2006 - 02:42 PM

O.K My bike is back from the dealer and it was, most likely, the ethanol.

The fuel in my tank and carb had deteriorated so badly that the carb had to be stripped down and soaked overnight to remove all the sludge and varnish.

No more pump gas for me-VP unleaded race fuel will be the diet.

• texas_hippie

Posted September 06, 2006 - 04:41 PM

O.K My bike is back from the dealer and it was, most likely, the ethanol.

The fuel in my tank and carb had deteriorated so badly that the carb had to be stripped down and soaked overnight to remove all the sludge and varnish.

No more pump gas for me-VP unleaded race fuel will be the diet.

As per this months issue of Motocross Action magazine, VP race fuel can NOT be left in the carbuerator more than a week due to gumming and residue problems! BE FOREWARNED!

• HawaiianStyle

Posted September 06, 2006 - 04:54 PM

Got it. Thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.