Any XR650R riders have experience with KX500 desert racing setup?

4 replies to this topic
  • Naru

Posted September 01, 2006 - 05:26 PM

I figured I'd check in here as well as the KX 2-stroke forum as I know there are several racers who converted from KX500's to XR650R's for racing. Anyway, I have a friend that just picked up a KX 500 for desert racing and wanted to set it up properly. Does anyone have experience with setting up this bike (tips, tricks, bolt-ons specific to the bike, etc) that they could empart? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• motochris

Posted September 01, 2006 - 07:00 PM

I had great success with Acme suspension on my KX500. Very plush. The ProCircuit works kitted suspension was very good, but big $$. I like the ZipTy fuel tank/Kx250 shroud combo, with Ty's pipe as well. Throw on a damper, better footpegs, chain/sprockets (gear up to mellow the bike) and you're good to go. For some more $$ balance the crank assembly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • texsurfer

Posted September 02, 2006 - 06:38 AM

i had a KX500 for a short time. All the research I did pointed out that serious work has to be done to a stocker to get it to run well. it was fun but i only rode it a few times and sold it to make some money on it. weight of it was very nice. have a linear powerband in that weight range could be really really fun. but i'm hooked on my 650R. tell you friend to sell it and buy a 650R if he wants to race and win on a budget.

• Kenaroo

Posted September 03, 2006 - 03:35 PM

Check out Destry Abbotts Website.

there are couple topics on his forum with

http://destryabbott....hp?showtopic=59

• Kenaroo

Posted September 03, 2006 - 04:59 PM

Check out Destry Abbotts Website.

there are couple topics on his forum with

http://destryabbott....hp?showtopic=59

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.