How Much Metal in Oil filter 01 426

3 replies to this topic
  • trail

Posted September 01, 2006 - 04:01 PM

This bike Had orignal tires,and the grips were orignal when I bought it. The owner said It had 10 hours.I beileve the oil was changed before I got it, by looking at the drain plugs, but no sign they changed the filter.I have put less than 10 hours on this bike...

I changed the oil and filter and there was a good amount of metal shavings in the filter.There was also some clutch material. I changed the oil ran it for 10 mins and then pulled the filter and changed the oil again...Filter looked godd and oil was clean.

How much material in the filter is normal? Should you be able to see stuff in the filter when you remove it??

Maybe I had the stock filter and had Material from break in??

Normal because the tranny and clutch share the oil ???

The motor sounds pretty good, no knocks, runs strong, not smoke????

• Satch0922

Posted September 01, 2006 - 04:21 PM

small particles and shavings are perfectly normal. The more often you change the oil....the fewer you see. I was very paranoid when I had my thumper and changed the oil ever other ride and cleaned the filter every other oil change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2006 - 05:53 PM

More metal will be found in a YZF oil filter for the exact reason you suggested; the trans lives in the same oil. If indeed it is a low hour bike, there will be even more than usual. The trans will stop shedding iron fairly soon, as long as you shift cleanly (I don't mean delicately, just cleanly), but the aluminum is mostly from the clutch basket and plates, and most of that from the basket. That will also be reduced over time, but it will be there pretty much every time you pull the filter as long as you use the stock basket. They aren't "bad", necessarily, but the Hinsons and other aftermarket parts are much harder, and won't shed like that.

Change the oil frequently, and either change or clean the filter each change. Every three rides is usually good enough for recreational riders.

I recommend Scotts oil filters. They are permanent, reusable stainless steel filters that match or beat performance of the best paper filters, and they fit all YZF's.

• trail

Posted September 01, 2006 - 06:05 PM

Oh yeah I forgot about the clutch basket.... I have installed those Hinson ones on my friend race bike before... I work the clutch pretty hard... I 250 and ride mix track trail.....Just went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket that should help me stay off the clutch some.

THANKS I feel better...I almost cried when I pulled that filter :thumbsup:

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  131 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.