Almost bought a YZ450, but...

5 replies to this topic
  • str8liner

Posted September 01, 2006 - 02:35 PM

I decided to get a YZ250 2 stroke instead. I ride track once a week and trail once a week here in Utah(desert, high alpine, etc.) I really tried to like the 450 and rode my buddies 2006 YZ450 quite a bit both on track and in the desert. What it boiled down to for me was the weight. I used to have a YZ426 and went back to the 2 stroke because it was such a pig. The 06 450 was much better than my 01 was, but after spending some time on my other buddies 2006 yz250 2-stroke I made the decision. I've gotta say after riding my friends 06 2-stroke I was SO impressed with the suspension and handling. Power wasn't the greatest but it was FUN.

However, one of the faster motocross racers in Utah just finally switched from his 2-stroke to a 07 Yamaha 450. He works at a shop that sells Yamaha and Kawi and after riding the 06 450 he decided to pull the trigger.

We're lucky to have the options we do.

Oh, and I paid $5450 OTD with the 12 mos. same as cash financing. I'll pay it off in less than a year and there will be no finance charges. There were some 2006 YZ250's on cycletrader for $4499. By the time I paid for shipping it was going to be $5475 so my local dealer beat them to get my business. Good prices!

• rhemilson

Posted September 01, 2006 - 04:14 PM

Im going to switch from a KTM300 to YZF450 ( 06 or 07 depends on the deal)

I love 2 strokes but wanna try the 4 stroke power... Im looking for a nice deal, any of you guys know were can I find good prices on 06 and 07`s??

Here on thumpertalk have good prices, any info str8liner from your dealer?? The bike its going to be shipped to TX....

Thanks, and hope the change to blue (or yellow or even white! lol ) will be good

:thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted September 01, 2006 - 04:19 PM

We all ride for fun right? The YZ250 is one of the funnest bikes I have ever ridden.

Now...before you thumper guys dog pile me, the new YZ450 fun too. Funny that people dog two-strokes but the closer the thumpers get to feeling like a 2-stroke the better they are.... :thumbsup: :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Funny that people dog two-strokes but the closer the thumpers get to feeling like a 2-stroke the better they are.... :thumbsup: :applause:

Well, now, Satch, "light", "low CG", and "centralized mass" are good qualities, no matter how many strokes there are. Two strokes inherited them accidentally out of pure luck. It took years to get a two-stroke engine to the point where it was reliable, powerful, and usable, and all those things were counter to their early nature, at least all together at the same time in one engine. And just as that took time, it has taken a long time to get a four-stroke to be light and nimble, which is unnatural for an engine with all those parts in it.

So it's like a pendulum. From 4-strokes to 2-strokes, and back again. Now that they're both light and agile, the thing that separates them, IMO, is the wide flat torque curve you get with a 4-stroke. That's a game breaker.

But, I have to say, the YZ250 is one of the very best 2-strokes I've ever been on. We almost bought one for my son. If the '06 hadn't come along, we would have. I can't afford to own any 450 except a Yamaha.

• Satch0922

Posted September 02, 2006 - 06:59 AM

2007 YZ250 First Impression (with video)

• jamiehughes

Posted September 02, 2006 - 08:01 PM

when i bought my 06 yz450, i had never even put a leg over a 4 stroke before, and i was actually amazed at how much i could ride it just like my yz250. it seemed to have all the good things about a 2 stroke and all the new kick ass 4 stroke things. i love this bike. as a first time 4 stroke owner i don't see myself going back unless the 2 strokes change a bunch.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.