hard starting 87 xr 600

4 replies to this topic
  • troubledwater

Posted September 01, 2006 - 02:11 PM

over the past few years it has became very difficult to start. I took the carb all apart and seemed a little better. Some times pops like old gas but is not. Thought maybe the ignition was weak? A couple of times i had someone pull me until it started to fire. Usually longer than 100yards before it would even try.would an aftermarket ign ensure easier starting? Any suggestions on where to start. If the compression is low would it act like this?

• rmhrc630

Posted September 01, 2006 - 03:50 PM

It will be your stator.

Thats an old XR you have there - well known issue.

Try a new stator and you'll be apples!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • don87xr600

Posted September 01, 2006 - 05:31 PM

plus it's a good upgrade.

• XR6's_rule

Posted September 01, 2006 - 06:58 PM

I work on bikes and the most common problem XR6's (especially the older '85-'90 versions) is with the exciter coil on the stator that supplies the voltage for spark. Remove the spark plug and make sure the spark will jump a distance of at least 6-7mm, (have someone else crank the bike over) if it doesnt its highly likely you'll need to get the stator rewound. Good luck.

• cleonard

Posted September 01, 2006 - 08:42 PM

Assuming it's the stator, you have a few options. The easiest is a new stator. For used, go to ebay. Any XR600 stator will work. For like $130 you can get a rewound one from Ricky Stator. There are a few others, but they are a little more. That will have the added benefit of 200 watts of juice for a really bright headlight.

If you are willing to do the work yourself, you can rewind it yourself for just the cost of some wire. Maybe $10 to $20. When mine failed that's what I did. That was over 2 years ago and it's still working. Use the search feature as I have posted about it here several times before.

Here is a write up on it http://www.crustyqui...ech/stator.html

Use this for an ebay search

(xr60*,xr 60*) stator

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.