First kick after 4 months

2 replies to this topic
  • BergArabia

Posted September 01, 2006 - 09:55 AM

Well I am a bit ashamed to admit it but I haven't ridden the YZ for about 4 months.
It is just too hot to ride it here any time other than very early in the morning and it has been like that since may.
Well I have a day off tomorrow. I asked the wife if she wanted to do anything. No she said. Her mistake..

So I thought maybe a very early morning ride would be in order.
But I thought I better test the bike out before I try getting up so early. (I'll have to be up by 3:30 to be in the desert by 5 am.
Anyways, I turned on the petcock, 3 good twists of the throttle to prime her, pulled out the choke and stood up to kick her over. To my surprise, first kick and she fired up. Died after a few seconds though. Several more kicks and I thought I'd try something different. Pushed the choke back in and pulled the hotstart. this time she fired up and ran perfectly.. I love that bike.

Now in defence I will say that I only use super petrol and I change oil, clean oil filter and air filter, wash the bike and lube the chain after every ride. But I read about petrol varnishing the carb and that had me worried.

On a side, there was a rather large puddle of petrol under the bike when I checked after it was running. Was that because of the throttle twists I did at the start? I have never done this 3 blips of the throttle thing before usually I just kick till it starts but this does seem to work, just wonder if I over did it or something?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • x2stroker

Posted September 01, 2006 - 12:34 PM

My guess would be that it was caused when you blipped the throttle 3x. I have always read that you should never turn the throttle with the engine off. But lately, I here of more and more people using it to prime the bike?... Personally, I have never "primed" mine and I have never had problems cold starting.

• grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2006 - 02:31 PM

...there was a rather large puddle of petrol under the bike when I checked after it was running. Was that because of the throttle twists I did at the start? I have never done this 3 blips of the throttle thing before usually I just kick till it starts but this does seem to work, just wonder if I over did it or something?

It was more likely that the tip of the float needle dried out and shrank some, or that a bit of varnish had formed on it from being stored for so long in such a cool climate. :thumbsup:

If it stops doing that, it's nothing to worry about.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.