Gearing/Sprocket sizes?

2 replies to this topic
  • boer

Posted September 01, 2006 - 08:34 AM

I seem to be running out of gears. I am continuously in 4th & 5th.

What are the most common sprocket size combos to upgrade to on a 06 wr450 for more at the top? Will there be any issues with chain slap, suspension travel etc or any other disadvantages?

If I change the sprocket sizes do I have to change the chain as well? Are all dirt bike sprocket bolt patterns and chains the same?

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Regards
boer :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtysouth

Posted September 01, 2006 - 11:28 AM

Man my '05 is a 14/50. I have a 45 tooth for the rear which changes the ratio from 3.57:1 to 3.21:1. The thing it really doesn't bring me back out of the top gears. May bring the revs down a bit but not really noticably. Problem for me was the git-up-and go kinda went away with the 45'er. Didn't disappear but I like to be able to romp on it and move. Being used to the 50 didn't help me cuz that was sorta my benchmark. Best thing I can tell you is keep her stock and appreciate those lower gears in the woods :thumbsup:

BTW the chain slapped so I got a masterlink repair kit for it and shortened it that way.

• MountainMax

Posted September 01, 2006 - 01:36 PM

I think a nice overdrive 6th gear with same sprockets would be awesome for us, Please yamaha, maybe next year??

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.