back brake sticking

3 replies to this topic
  • freezman

Posted November 28, 2001 - 07:28 PM

Hi I went trail riding the other day, one of my first real rides with the WR400. We were riding in some pretty cold weather in and around the snow line. At one point I hit my back bread fairly hard and it actually landed up sticking for about 3 seconds. Any ideas on what I should be looking for? It only did it the one time but I have to admit it did freak me out a little.

• The_Missile

Posted November 29, 2001 - 03:40 AM

Sometimes slush & snow get in places they shouldnt and turn to ice. Ice is a pretty good at resisting being squashed when its in tight places. Maybe you had an associated problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Woodzi

Posted November 29, 2001 - 03:47 AM

Check the pins that hold the brake pads for grooves. This will cause intermittent problems like you had. The grooves can be removed with a file or grinder to get you going.

Also check the caliper mounts. The caliper needs to be able to move freely from side to side. Take them apart and lubricate them. The brake pedal pivot also needs regular service.

You mentioned snow, so it is possible that something froze up. Unlikely, but possible.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted November 29, 2001 - 03:56 AM

Sounds like the brake shoes are sticking on the guide pin, Disassemble, clean the pin with a piece of steel wool or other mild abrasive. Lube the pin (Lightly) with a waterproof grease (Just slick NO globs), or you can use what I use (Slick 50 Lube spray) Works great lasts long time, that PTFE is good stuff. Also check your pads and rotor for unusual wear.

You should be fine.... Good Luck

Bonzai :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.