WR is best bike ever, saved us bigtime

5 replies to this topic
  • wedrivezs

Posted August 31, 2006 - 09:21 PM

Riding up to the burger joint, about 20 miles on a trail. Eat, leave, it's dark out 54 degrees in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Dave's riding a '04 WR450, I'm on a '06 WR450. We head back on a different part of the trail we've only been up and not down. Needless to say we miss our exit point and get lost. It's 9:15, we're not doing bad. About half tank of fuel in his - I've got the IMS - I'm doing good. 500 yards down the trail a rock wacks his shin and pulls his body off the bike and he goes down the lowside of the hill - hanging on the bars the whole way down. I come around the corner to see a WR450 running upside down ontop of dave. I leave mine running for the light, hop off help pull the bike up. He's about half fugged up but still is able to ride. Meanwhile my header is CHERRY RED. I kill the bike and radiator fluid is just flying out the overflow......This is about the time I noticed his radiator is totally screwed, and leaking bad.

Great, I'm thinking we're screwed. Dave had confidence, I didn't. We both run MX4T Mobil Synthetic oil.

So we fire them up, too dark to walk, and no moon out yet. Head down the trail and hit a fire road. Listened for a nearby road we thought we were by and sure enough we heard a vehicle. So about 3 miles of fire road and it dumps us off onto the main highway. We got into Nemo, made a phone call to the wife - let her know it's gonna be 11:00 PM before she needs to worry. Dave thinks it's gonna run, so back down the fire roads we head back to the truck. About 45 minutes of running in 45-50 degree weather over about 15 miles with no antifreeze whatsoever. So if you pop your radiator, and if you need to make it back home, have faith it'll make it.

I'm impressed to say the least.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 31, 2006 - 10:11 PM

The fact that it was only 45 degrees was totally in your favor. Bad things would have happened if it was hot out. Thats just a testament to how much these WRs kick ass

• Alley Cat

Posted September 01, 2006 - 12:02 AM

The fact that it was only 45 degrees was totally in your favor. Bad things would have happened if it was hot out. Thats just a testament to how much these WRs kick ass

When are you going to ditch the TTR and get one????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted September 01, 2006 - 11:41 AM

When are you going to ditch the TTR and get one????

I'm planning to get an 07 next July :thumbsup:

• jwriott

Posted September 01, 2006 - 12:11 PM

Next time, block off one radiator and run off of just one. We did this on my buddies 450 EXC for 25 miles of nasty, rocky high altitude riding.

Also, your header will frequently glow cherry red and you can see it more easily if you run it at night.

• vash

Posted September 01, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Reason why i carry JB weld with me all the time. quick fix for radiators, case cracks ect.

But he should check to see if he didnt blow a head gasket from that, you dont know until after youve put coolant back in and its leaking into the engine/exhaust or not.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.