Who knows why an aftermarkt pipe is better

14 replies to this topic
  • dirtysouth

Posted August 31, 2006 - 07:32 PM

OK so I have been thinking about going aftermarket pipe but is it worth it for performance. I rejetted with JD's kit and have been runnin with the stock can using only the spark arrester. It stays kinda quiet but runs strong. Here's the test: I can sit back and yank :thumbsup: on the bars to pull up the front in 5th. Can anyone out there roll it on and pick up the front pretty easy with an aftermarket pipe and 14/50 gears???? If so is it the pipe cuz thats about all I got left to do.

• clark4131

Posted August 31, 2006 - 07:54 PM

It sounds like your bike is running pretty good, so you may not "need" a pipe. That notwithstanding, here's a list of things an aftermarket pipe can do for you over the stock can...

-Reduce overall weight
-Centralize mass
-Lower center of gravity
-Increase power in a certain portion of the rev range or throughout
-Increase fuel efficiency
-Make carb tuning easier
-Give you tuning options for track/trail riding (inserts)
-Increase your appeal with the opposite sex
-Decrease your bank account balance

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. My experience has been nothing but positive. I went from stock, to an FMF Q2, to a Ti PowerCore and it just kept getting better...SC

• FlameDog

Posted August 31, 2006 - 09:56 PM

dude,
i just put a fmf powercore 4 Ti on yesterday, 06 wr 450

i have been timber bustin and fast fire road ridin' this thing for 1500 km,
i haven't even done the full jet set up yet, the ais is still on, but i have cut the air-box 168 main, 48 pilot,zip ty screw,
this thing has a bigger sack than the stock! i did yank the core and arrest out of the stocker right from birth,

if you ride, always wanting more power in certain situations, you will find even after you pony up for a pipe you will ride in situations where you find yourself wanting more power, but what do you do!

488 BIG BORE!!! BOONDOCKER NOS!!! :thumbsup:

i have found that the pipe makes more power period, you will still do a 5th gear pull on the bars,,, but when you chicken out and then decide you have control again you can crack it hard and let it buzz a little more and it will pull you back into the sweet zone! :applause:

do it

• Audun

Posted September 01, 2006 - 01:15 AM

Have no better way to explain it then a picture..

You`ll need the whole exhaust system and not just the can to get the desired effect, and the cheap ones doesent give the effect you want, so go for akrapovic, biggun or one of the famous brands.. usually you dont get more peak bhp but the torque will increase, so for your 5th gear wheelies it should be great.. In the picture the pink line is with akrapovic.. as you see it aint much.. so cost and angry neighbours vs performance!

http://gallery.klein.../husaberg_scan1

• devildriver

Posted September 01, 2006 - 02:44 AM

dynos are a good way of testing the horsepower, but it still does not determine how much it will do for your bike when u are actaully riding it. DeViLdRiVeR.

• GasBoySun

Posted September 01, 2006 - 10:20 AM

I changed the last baffle to a 1 1/4" baffle (homemade) I think it's pretty insane now. I know I went the cheap way, but i wasn't trying to set any land speed records. Plus I'm held back alot by my inexpirenced girl friend riding with me on her TTR 230.

• dirtysouth

Posted September 01, 2006 - 11:03 AM

It sounds like your bike is running pretty good, so you may not "need" a pipe. That notwithstanding, here's a list of things an aftermarket pipe can do for you over the stock can...

-Reduce overall weight
-Centralize mass
-Lower center of gravity
-Increase power in a certain portion of the rev range or throughout
-Increase fuel efficiency
-Make carb tuning easier
-Give you tuning options for track/trail riding (inserts)
-Increase your appeal with the opposite sex
-Decrease your bank account balance

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. My experience has been nothing but positive. I went from stock, to an FMF Q2, to a Ti PowerCore and it just kept getting better...SC

Bump for the appeal option :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bmeador

Posted September 01, 2006 - 04:22 PM

From my experience, I have tried FMF, WHITE BROS, DR D, AND M4, On my YZ'S and WRF's, the best Dynoed pipe and the Best ridable pipe Has been the LEO VINCE pipe. Its gained over 5 hp just by bolting on the pipe. My Personal 06 WR450F put out just over 53 hp. It has all free mods, AIS kit, Pipe, Twin air filter, and that's it. My 2003 Yz 450 put out 45.5 before i put the pipe on it put out 50.33 hp. Also the Leo pipe seems to be a little better made than the FMF( Had two bust the welds) and it is super quiet!!(92db) U and your neighbors gotta love that.

• creeky

Posted September 01, 2006 - 06:46 PM

I'm running a Big Gun full exhaust on my '00 WR400. It gave the engine noticeably more power in the mid and top rpm ranges for faster open riding, but lost some low end torque and throttle response. I use the stock pipe with the baffle out if I'm going to be riding slow tight stuff.

• GasBoySun

Posted September 06, 2006 - 05:17 AM

From my experience, I have tried FMF, WHITE BROS, DR D, AND M4, On my YZ'S and WRF's, the best Dynoed pipe and the Best ridable pipe Has been the LEO VINCE pipe. Its gained over 5 hp just by bolting on the pipe. My Personal 06 WR450F put out just over 53 hp. It has all free mods, AIS kit, Pipe, Twin air filter, and that's it. My 2003 Yz 450 put out 45.5 before i put the pipe on it put out 50.33 hp. Also the Leo pipe seems to be a little better made than the FMF( Had two bust the welds) and it is super quiet!!(92db) U and your neighbors gotta love that.

I have a Leo Vince on my SV650 and it's awsome. It has great sound and performance. I'm waiting for them to come out with the one for the 06 WR.
I know I did the cheap mod on my bike but I'd throw that away for a Leo.

• face_plant

Posted September 06, 2006 - 07:07 AM

because it decreases your bank acct bump
increases theirs)
well i dont know what difference the big gun made i never heard my bike with the stock pipe) it is NIB and just as shiny as the day it was made

• jlg

Posted September 23, 2006 - 10:55 AM

Just trying to decide on an aftermarket pipe for my 2006 yamaha ttr230. Looking at an FMF Power Core IV ($203), Pro Circuit T4 ($245), or Big Gun EVO X (slip on $309) (full system $370). Will a slip on suffice or would a full exhaust be preferable? I'm a fairly novice rider, 5'5", 145 lbs. Got an Uni air filter, box vents and jet kit on order and want to add an aftermarket exhaust too. Any suggestions?

• RSWR450F

Posted September 23, 2006 - 12:11 PM

Leo VinceX3 Full Titanium complet:

http://www.rsracing.....4.2006_WR450F/

Akrapovic:

http://www.rsracing....slides/x19.html

Rosta WR

www.rsracing.cz

• darrylwt

Posted September 25, 2006 - 06:33 AM

OK so I have been thinking about going aftermarket pipe but is it worth it for performance. I rejetted with JD's kit and have been runnin with the stock can using only the spark arrester. It stays kinda quiet but runs strong. Here's the test: I can sit back and yank :thumbsup: on the bars to pull up the front in 5th. Can anyone out there roll it on and pick up the front pretty easy with an aftermarket pipe and 14/50 gears???? If so is it the pipe cuz thats about all I got left to do.

I just put on a White Brothers E2 and it is great (sound and power band) but as far as the bank account I only paid $135 for the pipe but then I have distributer friends but my bank account was raped by the RTT stabilizer/triple clamp I put on. I have all the free mods and my WR450 runs as well as my CR500 did and I am very happy with the 06 WR450 four stroker and with the gray button a heck of a lot easier to start then the CR500 LOL.

• pjriss

Posted September 25, 2006 - 06:44 AM

Aside from the obvious enhancement of manhood, I like aftermarket exhausts because they look cool, sound cool, give me a chance to brag about what a great deal I got, and they make me feel good. What more could you want?? :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.