Leaded gas???

24 replies to this topic
  • mike_dean

Posted September 03, 2006 - 04:43 AM

I've added tetra ethyl lead to my premium unleaded fuel for yrs, not for octane increase but for valve train longevity. Lead was removed because of catalytic converters in autos. lead cushions and lubricates the valves, autos had to add stelite (spelling) valves when the lead was removed. I buy my lead additive from an antique car catalog by the qt. and add 4 oz to 5 gal. also boosts octane a couple of points. my feeling is that unleaded fuel, especially with ethanol is very hard on valves, the ethanol is corrosive and very dry. These are just my observations, I'm a auto mechanic not an engineer, but I have not had a valve problem. Mike

• Satch0922

Posted September 03, 2006 - 05:17 AM

good to see a Mike Dean post! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wyatt

Posted September 03, 2006 - 07:09 PM

I'll second that.

The original coil on cap guru.

• 642MX

Posted September 03, 2006 - 08:50 PM

I'll add my 2 cents on the leaded fuel subject.

I've ran it for 3+ years now. I use Citgo 110 leaded race fuel. I use it for multiple reasons. The biggest reason is it keeps my 13.5:1 compression motor from pinging. The rest of the reasons are important too.... leaded fuel is 100 times easier to dial the jetting in with, leaded race fuel is the same fuel everytime I buy it, leaded fuel keeps the engine extremely clean inside (I freshen it up once a year and there is never a build up on the valves or piston), and I love the way leaded fuel smells. :thumbsup:

• arnie230

Posted September 05, 2006 - 04:09 PM

I have VP C-12 available to me by the gallon at a local service station. The bottom line I guess is that in TT members opinions "Will leaded fuel harm my 2006 YZ450F"? I wanna use nothing but the quality stuff in my new bike. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.