XR650R kills Vegas to Reno

46 replies to this topic
  • motochris

Posted September 01, 2006 - 04:36 PM

They said the 650R in the article did not have the full hop up kit. They were not using the HRC piston, only the cam.

The 650R is faster with the stock piston than the HRC higher compression one. The higher compression one adds more OOMPH at the crack of the throttle.

• desert4seat

Posted September 01, 2006 - 05:58 PM

Keep in mind that a 450x got second with Johnny Campbell & Robby Bell riding it. They were down about 20 minutes due to a flat almost at the end. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the 650, but those Honda boys are getting that 450x going pretty quick.

huh, r u sure bout that? :applause:
Now I could be wrong, but the 2nd vehicle across the finish was a TT (45minutes behind the 650r) and 5-8 min behind the TT was campbell/bell.
50 minutes is a big lead over the 450x...but then again, It's the Indian not the arrow right? :thumbsup:

• huntmaster

Posted September 01, 2006 - 06:00 PM

There's no question Honda is going to push the 450X. That's where the $$ is.

Makes you wonder how much more $$ it would be if that bike had a better reliability reputation. As for the magazines and reality being two different things...I'm starting to wonder too! The glossy California off road mags lately seem full of "outstanding long term reliability" and "great durability" reports on that bike... contrary to everything you hear word of mouth and in forums like this. It's almost like an orchestrated effort! Hmmmm...conspiracy theorists might be starting to wonder who is pulling the strings behind the scenes there? :thumbsup:

• Scotty Breauxman

Posted September 01, 2006 - 08:36 PM

Makes you wonder how much more $$ it would be if that bike had a better reliability reputation. As for the magazines and reality being two different things...I'm starting to wonder too! The glossy California off road mags lately seem full of "outstanding long term reliability" and "great durability" reports on that bike... contrary to everything you hear word of mouth and in forums like this. It's almost like an orchestrated effort! Hmmmm...conspiracy theorists might be starting to wonder who is pulling the strings behind the scenes there? :thumbsup:

Every mag from every industry is on the take so no wonder the world of dust is rife with payola. For sure the marketing directors from Honda have second homes in the large intestines of all the magazine editors. ANd just like magazines, you better be careful how much weight you put on the info you get of the web

• Mudshark

Posted September 02, 2006 - 08:35 AM

To get A 450 to run as hard as a 650... you gotta sacrifice some reliability.
It's common sense, the 450 will have to work a lot harder than the 650
to develop similar power etc... Either that or build the working parts out of
something thats stronger than what's currently being used to get it to last
longer.... now, if they had stronger materials that were cheap, it wouldn't
cost an arm and a leg to build, that would be nice.
Then again the next gen 650 could be built using the "better" materials
and they'll be able to get it to go faster too... :thumbsup:

• cubera

Posted September 02, 2006 - 10:18 AM

Pretty amazing the 450X does as well as it does IMHO. Don't forget there are other makes running these events also. Do ya think Honda bribes these other guys to let the Honda guys win? Facts are in the results. That's what racing is all about and to take credit away from the 650R or 450X as base platforms for race winning bikes is plain wrong IMHO. Glad to see Childress and the Midnight Rambler do well (WIN). I also enjoy seeing the young R. Bell and the mythical figure legend J. Campbell do well too. Since the Euros can't seem to get the way high speed long distance desert thing happening, I would like to see the other Japanese companies compete seriously and try to dethrone Honda...the undisputed king of high speed long distance bad ass desert racing. Right on! Would it not be totally cool to see someone on something like a KX500 kick ass in these kinds of races? I dunno. I love the SCORE/BITD stuff I guess. I can really appreciate the guts and skill of these top riders regardless of what they are on. AWESOME! Thanks for the pictures! EXCELLENT! Great post

• calxi

Posted September 02, 2006 - 02:19 PM

There's no question Honda is going to push the 450X. That's where the $$ is. The 650 is not a big seller for the company. If they can convert some of the 650 guys to the 450X....so much the better. It will help keep market share when the 650 is discontinued.

Agreed. I keep feeling like like we wont see the BRP on the next Honda lineup. Fortunately she keeps hangin in there. Racing and business plans....a turbulent combination.

• Dezrider

Posted September 02, 2006 - 02:45 PM

Honda needs to hang on to the XR650R until they can find a dependable race bike for the Baja 1000. I'm not sure the 450X is it.

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted September 02, 2006 - 07:50 PM

huh, r u sure bout that? Now I could be wrong, but the 2nd vehicle across the finish was a TT (45minutes behind the 650r) and 5-8 min behind the TT was campbell/bell. 50 minutes is a big lead over the 450x...but then again

No, there were actually quite a few bikes and Quads that finished before the 1st T.Truck. It was a close race between the top couple Hondas and on adjusted time they both beat the 1st T.Truck and on adjusted time the difference between the top 2 Hondas was only about 20 minutes. They start the trucks/buggies a few hours behind, so it's "adjusted" time.

• huntmaster

Posted September 02, 2006 - 08:32 PM

Pretty amazing the 450X does as well as it does IMHO. Don't forget there are other makes running these events also. Do ya think Honda bribes these other guys to let the Honda guys win?

Nothing to do with racing there...the reference was to all the recent "great durability and relaibility" comments in the magazines....seemingly contradicting what you hear from almost every other source!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mudshark

Posted September 03, 2006 - 07:09 AM

Nothing to do with racing there...the reference was to all the recent "great durability and relaibility" comments in the magazines....seemingly contradicting what you hear from almost every other source!

I guess "great durability" will only become evident after several years??

• Kenaroo

Posted September 03, 2006 - 11:19 AM

There are plenty of CRF out in the desert competing and winning. I ran my 02 for 4 years without any problems. from HS to DS. the bikes will last if taken care of.

but for long distance desert riding. nothing beats the comfort and speed of the ole BRP.

You guys speak as if the highest MPH is all that takes to win in the desert. Wrong Wrong Wrong. It's nice the the factory (btw this bike is no where near stock) XR is pumping out 65 horses but these guys could have still won on a stock uncorked bike that went 93 mph.

when in relation to the entire course, they are only hitting top speed maybe 1% of the time. the rest they are runing between 35 and 65 mph on average.

Im ready for a CRF 580 X that will torque all the way to the finish of the 1000

• huntmaster

Posted September 06, 2006 - 11:03 AM

No one here said that. The comment was that the magazine article said both "modified" bikes maxed out at 100 mph!
High top speeds aren't everything...but you can't dismiss them out of hand! The fact is that top speed factors into that 60 mph "average" too. They don't ride exactly 60 mph all day! For every 20-30 mph technical section...somewhere they need to be well over 100 mph to average out.
Why do trophy trucks do so well overall among the 4- wheel crowd? By being faster then the buggies in the technical sections? Not a chance! They do it by hitting 140 + mph across the lake beds. This ain't no MX or harescramble!

You guys speak as if the highest MPH is all that takes to win in the desert. Wrong Wrong Wrong.
when in relation to the entire course, they are only hitting top speed maybe 1% of the time. the rest they are runing between 35 and 65 mph on average.

• bajadude53

Posted September 06, 2006 - 06:47 PM

Around 100mph for a well tuned 450 or 650 dirtbike with front fender, radiator shrowds and full suspension in the dirt set up to do a 500 mile off road race is about right. 115 , 118 and 120 is dreaming.

• ej67ss

Posted September 06, 2006 - 08:15 PM

well there is the ktm super enduro v twin. can ktm race that? it is supposed to have 100 hp and be able to ride desert like conditions. And i think honda is going to make a 600r that revs and is a lot like the 450. thats probly why they are all messing with the 450 so much so they can make a new bike in 08.

• desert4seat

Posted September 06, 2006 - 09:35 PM

Around 100mph for a well tuned 450 or 650 dirtbike with front fender, radiator shrowds and full suspension in the dirt set up to do a 500 mile off road race is about right. 115 , 118 and 120 is dreaming.

Childress was clocked at 118 during practice for V to R.

and as far as the race bikes being not at all close to “stock” Kenaroo…you’d be surprised just how close to stock they actually are. And how little they actually change.

• bajadude53

Posted September 07, 2006 - 08:43 AM

I will have to stick with my earlier evaluation. I don't believe that I could get my 650R set up in off road race conditons to do 118mph.

• desert4seat

Posted September 07, 2006 - 09:50 AM

Well you could be right.
My info comes from people who where actually there, during practice. And that’s what they told me (among other things), but they could be wrong too – I guess.
The bike was apparently geared for such speed.

• Tugsy

Posted September 07, 2006 - 10:39 AM

Well I was at the Pit Area #15 when the 3rd place KTM 525 came in ( Blais Brothers) he was complaining to his mechanic that he was not geared tall enough and that he was only able to reach about 105 MPH and said he thinks he is giving up about 10 MPH to the Honda Guys. I was next to Honda pit all day but they did not say anything about top speed but I did listen to the time checks after the pit 15 to pit 16. In that 29 mile section the XR picked up about 1 minute over the 450X. In that section it was noted that it was mostely a fast fireroad section all the way. The flat for Cambell happened after Pit 16 in the rocky final stretch. My opinon is that the 650 was able to out pull the 450X all day on extremely fast sections creating the time difference up to pit 16 of about 4 minutes. That was how close they were at final pit before the finish. A flat tire in the last section created most of the time difference.

• huntmaster

Posted September 07, 2006 - 10:59 AM

Childress was clocked at 118 during practice for V to R.

Yep. No dreaming required there! Even the cameraman in Dust to Glory were hitting 115...which is again 10 mph down that reported for Campbells's 650R on the cover of Dirt Bike a while bike. I guess they don't read their own magazine!

The first "Superbikes" on the street had 65 hp and hit a staggering 125 mph in the early seventies. Why not a correctly geared dirt bike with even more power and equally lumpy aerodynamics?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.