XR650R Idle questions

4 replies to this topic
  • scorp17

Posted August 31, 2006 - 10:59 AM

First off, thanks to everyone here for talking me into buying a 2001 XR650R (Ca plated). This is the best place for info around.

Question, I changed the exhaust tip from what the previous owner had on it to the factory one that he also gave me. He said start the bike with the choke on. First the bike won't start with the choke, it will start with out it. When I do start it, I have to give it a little gas or it dies (can't let go). Second, about fifty percent of the time it dies as I come to a stop.

Any ideas where I should start? Would changing the tip require adjusting the carb? Should it start with no throttle? The idle seems to bounce sometimes. Sometimes idles way high, then cuts to lower and practically dies. Is this simply and idle screw question or does it sound like more?

If running correctly, should it start with choke, no throttle, warm up, choke off, smooth idle (still with no throttle), never die at stop signs, right?

Thanks for any suggestions.....

• captb

Posted August 31, 2006 - 03:20 PM

If you want it to run right it needs to be uncorked and jetted correctly otherwise all bets are off, search some threads on uncorking and verify what's been done or not done, it will have more power, run cooler and start and run much better, the stock exhaust tip in no good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scorp17

Posted September 01, 2006 - 10:31 AM

Thx, I am still have not gone through it but I am pretty sure it has been uncorked.

Quick question: Will just changing the exhaust tip require everything to be re-adjusted? That big of an effect on the engine?

• motofix

Posted September 01, 2006 - 11:00 AM

The answer is yes, it makes a big difference. Are you trying to make it stock?

• scorp17

Posted September 02, 2006 - 12:57 AM

No not stock, but its been a while since I had a bike so still getting my feet wet while riding around the neighborhood. Figured the quieter the better on my neighbors (I get home from work late at night). Eventually will get back to hitting the trails.

It just seems to idle a little strange, sometimes to high, then to low and dies.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.