Baja Designs Switch.

6 replies to this topic
  • BluezookS

Posted August 31, 2006 - 08:48 AM

I found a problem with my Baja Designs kit switch. I had a crash :applause: on my XR650R and when I crawled back to the bike and got it upright the ON/OFF light switch was smashed and the actuator was missing. The switch worked fine up until that point.

The battery pack is weak so I couldn't tell if it was on by looking at the taillight.

I kicked a bunch of times with the compression release pulled in and the throttle wide open. I got a backfire but it never fired up. :applause:

I was able to get my buddy to come pick me up and get home.

So I bought the XRR thinking it kicks pretty easy, almost starts by accident. I don't need an electric start. Then the crash, on/off messed up, am I kicking for nothing, man an electric start would be nice in this situation.

Plans:

I am definately going to label the wires so I can rig the wiring to start incase the switch is messed up. This is the purpose of the post to suggest this for others.

Rig a seperate on/off switch for anti-theft and ease of start after a crash.

Ride slower when by myself. :thumbsup:

• snaggleXR650

Posted August 31, 2006 - 09:04 AM

The instructions with the DSK show which two wires to connect/disconnect to bypass the handlebar kill switch. One is black with a white stripe, the other is yellow or green or something...

• moleculo

Posted August 31, 2006 - 09:14 AM

I found a problem with my Baja Designs kit switch. I had a crash :thumbsup: on my XR650R and when I crawled back to the bike and got it upright the ON/OFF light switch was smashed and the actuator was missing. The switch worked fine up until that point.

Sounds more like the Baja Designs kit switch found a problem with you!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted August 31, 2006 - 09:40 AM

Sorry to hear about the train wreck. Bummer, but at least no significant road-rash.

Re the BD switch, if you do not already have it, here is the info / diagram for the current switch.

Hope this helps!

Black w/ white stripe – Kill wire. Attach to stock kill wire that the stock kill button unplugs from.
Blue w/ white stripe – Kill wire ground. Attach to chassis ground (or factory wire that goes to chassis ground.)
Blue – Power in. Attach to fused DC power.
Red – Accessory power out. Hot in either of the two upper switch positions. Use to power taillight, turn signals, & horn.
Light Green – Power to low beam.
Yellow – Power to high beam.
Brown – Power to left turn signals.
Dark Green – Power to right turn signals.
Orange – Power to turn signal switch from flasher relay.
Pink – Horn wire. Attach to one side of horn.
Black – Ground for horn and high beam indicator. Attach to DC ground (not always chassis.)

Update: the above color codes are for BD's current-stock control switch. This is the design that has a kill-switch in the shape of a little mini-lever, vs the older design, which has a square kill-button. I cannot vouch that these codes are correct for the older design.

• hypersthenos

Posted August 31, 2006 - 09:42 AM

Yep, just disconnect the 2 wires that go to the original wiring harness that used to go to your stock kill switch & you're good to go.

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 31, 2006 - 10:00 AM

Holy crap, Batman! You musta REALLY had a train-wreck, in order to bust up the handlebar switch!!

:thumbsup:

• BluezookS

Posted August 31, 2006 - 10:18 AM

The bike already had the BD kit on it when I bought it. It was working great and I saw no need to play with the wires. Now I need to know how to hot wire it.

I was having a good ride on this gravel road. I had just changed my pilot jet and the BRP was running crisp and fine. Retuning home there was a water puddle spanning the road with a dry spot to the left. I cleared that without getting wet, next was a wooden bridge thing. It is flush with the road and a small stream runs under it. It is made of 4x4s and is about 10'x 20'. I must have been on the gas and it was slick the bike went sideways on the wood, got traction on the gravel and launched me.

All I know is I was looking down the road the whole time. I had the same visual but was not on the bike anymore. It was like it the BRP was snatched from underneath me. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.