HELP!!!! XR wont run

4 replies to this topic
  • richgiffen

Posted August 31, 2006 - 07:34 AM

I bought a 1994 XR650L a week or two ago. The bike runs fine but was neglected for years and now needs simple work. Well the last day or two I was riding it and while riding it starting jerking and puttering kinda violently. Similar to when you are in way to low of a gear, or running out of gas. The only problem is that it was neither of those. It has plently of gas, and I know how to ride so it was in gear properly. Now the bike wont start. It cranks and cranks but no start. What could it be???? Spark plug???

• gofastgofast

Posted August 31, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Sounds like a fuel supply problem! Which is likely as you said the bike was neglected (a dirty shame for such a good bike) The first thing I would do is pull the carby off and give it a good clean out, including the main jet. The best way to clean the jet is with a set of oxy tip cleaners.
It probably wouldn't hurt to get a carby kit and change out all you gaskets.
Hope that helps

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 31, 2006 - 08:21 AM

Put in a new plug first, but it sounds like the jets are clogged, thourouhly clean the carby out and make sure you can see thru them, the jets that is.

• pigryder

Posted August 31, 2006 - 09:16 AM

CDI box maybe?

• frankstr

Posted August 31, 2006 - 11:26 AM

First off....Welcome to TT... :thumbsup:

Clean the carb..use air and a cleaner on the jets..
Also you might want to check the petcock assembly in the tank to make sure the screen is clean..... :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.