'06 YZ450 Valve adjustment ????

2 replies to this topic
  • arnie230

Posted August 30, 2006 - 02:07 PM

I recently purchased a 2006 YZ450 and I am learning the ropes as I am converting from 2 strokes. As far as valve adjustment is there a kit to buy with assorted shims to use while adjusting valves or is it a buy as you need type thing? I seem to recall when I worked at a dealer in the 80's that the mechanics had kits with various size shims in it. Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated as tomorrow will be my first day on the new bike. I am 39 years old and I feel like a little kid....I CANT WAIT to ride it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hot Cams makes several different kits. The big one is around $80, and includes 3 each of a wide range of shims, at least a third of which will NEVER fit in your bike. They make "refill" kits for $30 or so that include 5 each of a smaller range of sizes. The trouble with these is that the size break is right at 180, and most YZF's will need shims between 170 and 185, so you would need 2 kits. I've often thought of calling Hot Cams and asking them to build me a custom refill kit.

The one thing about all this is that you'll have plenty of time to figure out what to get. My '03, even though I keep expecting it to need it any time, has still NEVER HAD A VALVE ADJUSTMENT. And it's not even unusual. How cool is that? :thumbsup:

• arnie230

Posted August 30, 2006 - 05:47 PM

wow, thats great! I will keep them checked regardless. I hope I have the same luck. I am coming from Honda (many Hondas) and so far I love this bike!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.