Xr600r?

7 replies to this topic
  • yzfoxrider04

Posted August 30, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Hey TTer's I was trying to find out what xr600 engine I can put in my 82 yz465 frame and if it will fit. if not what other big bore, air cooled engine can fit? thanx if you can help? :thumbsup: I got 18 views and 0 replies in the "General forum" I just remembered there was a xr forum.

• pigryder

Posted August 30, 2006 - 03:18 PM

600 engine is big how bout an xr400r engine and theres plenty of them out there, as for fitting find someone with the engine out and give ya some general size measurements

• atkxr600

Posted August 30, 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hey TTer's I was trying to find out what xr600 engine I can put in my 82 yz465 frame and if it will fit. if not what other big bore, air cooled engine can fit? thanx if you can help? :thumbsup: I got 18 views and 0 replies in the "General forum" I just remembered there was a xr forum.

As far as what XR6 motor will fit, I pretty sure they are all about the same physical configuration. The differences in the engines from year to year are few, and the ones that do exist are mainly internal.
For that matter even the XR5 motor would basically be real similar externally.

Think of the XR6 motor as the small block Chevy of dirt bikes, dependable as a stone, but few changes year to year.

• ozjock

Posted August 30, 2006 - 05:25 PM

I dont think any bigbore engine will bolt straight in, you will have to get handy and make up some custom engine mounts, as long as the engine sits in the frame you should be fine. Use your imagination.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 31, 2006 - 07:47 AM

The problem with fitting a XR600R, or any 4 stroke motor in a 2 stroke based dirt bike frame is the height of the 4 stroke motors. They are about 6 inches taller than a 250cc 2 stroke and 4 inches taller than a 500cc 2 stroke. They are wider and longer too. So, I think you are out of luck. But, let me ask this, why a XRmotor in a YZ465 frame? Better handling than the XR? The best bet is and allot easier would be to take an entire XR600R, sell the YZ and buy a blown up 90~92 CR250~500 and swich the swingarm, shock, linkage, and forks to the XR. A problem with the XR in the MX frame is the XRs are dry sump motors and the oil is carried in the frame as an oil tank. Were as you'd need a outside the frame oil tank for the YZXR. This is more of a reason for putting either the YZ suspeneion, or the CR suspension on an XR instead of the other way around. I have a 92 XR600R with Noleen 1992 YZ suspension and wheels and brakes on it....click on my garage and look at the 92XR630R...

• yzfoxrider04

Posted August 31, 2006 - 03:30 PM

I thought the XR's stored oil in the engine? oh...well its a rolling frame i want to do something with it. Is there some other engine i can get the 465 engine is in pieces and the gears are cracked. this is A project that now sounds ridiculous...what was i thinking :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 31, 2006 - 04:06 PM

I thought the XR's stored oil in the engine? oh...well its a rolling frame i want to do something with it. Is there some other engine i can get the 465 engine is in pieces and the gears are cracked. this is A project that now sounds ridiculous...what was i thinking :thumbsup:

Use the 465 engine as a paper weight. A heavy, powerful paper weight :applause:

• desert4seat

Posted September 01, 2006 - 03:34 PM

Interesting thread! Me and my buddy were just talking about this!
His old 81 yz465 just dropped a bottom end (like yours) and he wants to do the same thing…
put a bigger/better motor in there and build an ultimate desert bike.
Huge tank,
Huge amounts of torque,
Air-cooled
etc

You have to know how to fab,
and you MUST know how to weld (good)! Your life depends on it.

Sniperteambravo has good points, but with skills, they are all easy to overcome.

I don’t think height is a problem, plenty of room in the YZ
Why an XR in a YZ frame?
I guess the biggest reason is because it’s there. I haven’t seen a 92 cr500 frame recently,
but I already have an old YZ465 in my backyard.
And besides.
The old 465’s were overbuilt like crazy… tough as hell, and can definitely take the added weight. It wasn’t designed for MotoX, It was an open class bike…good for straight lines and hill climbs and it put the later yz490 to shame. LOL!
As far as the oiltank…that’s an easy one to do…or have someone make for you.
I agree, it would be easier to get a whole xr600…and another whole cr250/500…and swap pieces…
But wouldn’t that take a ton more cash? I mean you gotta buy 2 bikes!
Why not just go out and buy a used xr650r and eliminate all the BS?

I think it would be a funny to post a build like that…pic by pic..
:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.