mud/intermediate terrain tires for XR650R?

7 replies to this topic
  • pburke

Posted August 30, 2006 - 12:42 PM

I'm looking for a 90-10 dirt DOT tire to put on for a weekend in the northwoods in September. The terrain there is mud and forest trails, some rocks, usually wet. Gravel roads, too. So far I have only had street and 50-50 rubber on the bike.

Here are tires I've been considering after reading various comments all over the place:

Dunlop 606

Kenda K760 Trackmaster II

Kenda K778 rear K777 front

Pirelli MT 21 (have a front tire of that type in the garage)

Teraflex 150/80-18 - does that thing even fit?

Anyone run that type or terrain with any of the above tires and can comment on them? thanks

Peter

• rmhrc630

Posted August 30, 2006 - 03:27 PM

My view is even though it is wet you still need a hard terrain tyre as the XRs are heavy heavy and you shread soft terrain tyres in no time.

606s are not bad - I use only in the dry.

Most wet terrain tyres are not DOT so not much help

For non DOT try the IRC M 5B - it is an enormous tyre and just shreads offroad in the mud

• dennisthe

Posted August 30, 2006 - 04:03 PM

I've had a couple or 3 of the D606 and found them to be OK in the dry hard stuff but kinda sucky in the wet. I currently prefer the 756 in the front and the 739 in the rear...yeah its a desert tire but it works well for me in the Maine woods. They aren't DOT but they hook up well. My $.02

• frankiewhipit

Posted August 30, 2006 - 06:09 PM

i have a Pirelli mt 70 on the front and a Dunlop trail max on the rear of my XR650L, great on the street, ok off road
i have a DOT Pirelli mt44 (front) & a Kenda millville (rear) i use when i go into the woods, much better in the mud & wet forest type terrain :thumbsup:
hope that helps

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mudshark

Posted August 30, 2006 - 06:24 PM

I've had a couple or 3 of the D606 and found them to be OK in the dry hard stuff but kinda sucky in the wet. I currently prefer the 756 in the front and the 739 in the rear...yeah its a desert tire but it works well for me in the Maine woods. They aren't DOT but they hook up well. My $.02

I've also done the 606 thing and now am back on stock Dunlops, 739 rear
and a 695 front. Not too bad on the road but wicked in the dirt, wet or dry
they hook up pretty good.

• Blue Man

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:39 PM

I like the Maxxis IT desert front and rear, I get very good wear with these even on the street.

• muctar

Posted August 30, 2006 - 09:34 PM

http:// :thumbsup: I have a 01-650R, Its uncorked-stock gearing (14/48) and I am runn'in the 606's. 2000/2300-out of the rear is riding 50/50. My bud at GorgeTownCycles said" next time come here and I will dial you in bro". Glen is scream'in about the 739F rubber. Should get 6000 out of it? anyway good luck. Motherlodedualsport-MLDS RDES AGIAN..........

coolsandsrunn'in :applause: :applause: :applause:

• pburke

Posted August 31, 2006 - 06:28 AM

thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like there are various options. The comment about not to get a really soft tire because the bike is so heavy and will it tear up sounds convincing enough that I'll probably consider something more robust.

Teraflex anyone?

http://www.mandhtire...ion=show_detail

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.