How to install subframe on 06 YZ450--Help!!

9 replies to this topic
  • sbrown

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:20 AM

I read about this a while ago but didnt pay attention because I wasnt doing it. The search function has been disabled right now and I would like an answer as soon as possible to help me with completion of my bike after some disassembly.

My question is "what is the trick or technique to get the air boot to reinstall on the carburator while keeping the subframe in line to bolt up at the same time?

• TimFurryBalls

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:23 AM

Spray brake cleaner on the inside of the boot flange, and POP! Right on.

• SureBlue

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:37 AM

Ain't that a great product, Timmy.

• x2stroker

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:40 AM

It is very tight in there, isn't it... I bolted the sub frame on first and then went back to the boot with WD40, it worked for me. I'm sure can do it in the reverse order but I was having a difficult time.

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2006 - 02:17 PM

The great thing about the '06 sub is that it's much easier to line up the two lower ends of it, since they don't have to each fit in between two steel tabs. That lets you run the top bolt in, and swing the assembly down, locating the air boot as you go. As TFB suggests, use brake cleaner or carb cleaner to lube the boot. The reason you would use these but not use WD40 or something similar is because the brake/carb cleaner will disappear in a few minutes, leaving the boot dry, and with a good grip on the carb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sbrown

Posted August 30, 2006 - 04:04 PM

The great thing about the '06 sub is that it's much easier to line up the two lower ends of it, since they don't have to each fit in between two steel tabs. That lets you run the top bolt in, and swing the assembly down, locating the air boot as you go. As TFB suggests, use brake cleaner or carb cleaner to lube the boot. The reason you would use these but not use WD40 or something similar is because the brake/carb cleaner will disappear in a few minutes, leaving the boot dry, and with a good grip on the carb.

thanks for the advice-- Grey and everybody who responded

• YZ117

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:59 PM

pull the top shock bolt out and tip the shock backwards. took many attempts to figure it out. works like a charm.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted September 01, 2006 - 10:56 PM

I must be lucky. Mine pushes on with ease. I have not had a single problem getting the subframe back on. :thumbsup:

• odlaw19

Posted September 04, 2006 - 10:02 PM

I had the same trouble the other day. I turned the rear spring around so that the gaps between the coils allow the boot to line up with the carb. As said.... use some carby cleaner.

• bigdoublestrouble

Posted October 26, 2006 - 12:30 AM

I was almost ready to trade my bike in for yz250 after trying to put the boot over the carb:foul: I then settled down and came on here and found the solution. Someone said to move the shock back a bit so the boot clears it and it went right on:worthy: I re jetted it with a 48 pilot and 170 main, starts alot easier haven't rode it yet. This site rocks!:mad:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.