large fuel tank questions

19 replies to this topic
  • oneshot

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:57 AM

looking for large capacity fuel tank for my "r".

this one
http://www.clarkemfg...y_Code=honda xr
is the 1st one i found. .....can i do better (as in, cheaper, better, or larger) than this, or should i go ahead and get it?

also, where's a good place to get new graphics for the new tank?

k.

• cleonard

Posted August 30, 2006 - 10:10 AM

I can't comment on how it fits the bike or if a larger unit is available, but the Clarke tanks are the least expensive.

• pburke

Posted August 30, 2006 - 10:30 AM

you can go larger (Acerbis 6gal) for slightly more $, and you can go really large (Acerbis 6gal plus 3.7gal underseat tank with custom seat bench) for much more $$$

I have the 4.3 gal Clarke on my bike and it seems to work just fine. Bought it with that on the bike, removed it once so far and it fit right back on the bike without needing to force anything around to get the screws in.

Peter

• JackAttack

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:10 AM

Clarke 4.3

:thumbsup:

• JKL

Posted August 30, 2006 - 12:01 PM

Fits well - good capacity - not too wide.
Decals don't stick well on plastic tanks - mine came off, so make sure they are made for the purpose.

• hypersthenos

Posted August 30, 2006 - 12:01 PM

IMS 4.8. Best looking (in my opinion)-fits well, looks tough, clears bars & DS signals @ full turn. Nice piece.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 30, 2006 - 01:01 PM

looking for large capacity fuel tank for my "r".

this one
http://www.clarkemfg...y_Code=honda xr
is the 1st one i found. .....can i do better (as in, cheaper, better, or larger) than this, or should i go ahead and get it?

also, where's a good place to get new graphics for the new tank?

k.

No, Clarke is the cheapest and one of the best of as good as the best of the aftermarket tanks, I have a stocker, a Acerbis 7 gallon, and a Clarke 5 gallon for my 2 XR600s, I love them all.

• HC

Posted August 30, 2006 - 03:07 PM

I have a low mile clarke for an R, looking to trade upto a acerbis valdez, anyone ?

• rzm

Posted August 30, 2006 - 03:38 PM

I'm very happy with my IMS 4.6 tank. Thought I would just use it for long rides and switch back to the stocker, but it's much more comfortable and easier to grip with the knees than stock. I'll never switch back now. Also like seeing the fuel level with the natural color.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted August 30, 2006 - 04:32 PM

I put that same tank on my 2002 XR650R and also bought stock graphics from Service Honda. I never had a problem with decals on that tank. I found the tank for about $150.00 online.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Troy_Bell

Posted August 30, 2006 - 10:07 PM

I put that same tank on my 2002 XR650R and also bought stock graphics from Service Honda. I never had a problem with decals on that tank. I found the tank for about $150.00 online.

I did the exact same thing. I am partial to Clarke since I've experienced problems with two seperate IMS tanks in the past

• jamestoo

Posted August 31, 2006 - 12:41 AM

very pleased with my acerbis 6 gallon

• bigwavedave1

Posted August 31, 2006 - 02:25 AM

Hi there. I have never tried a Clarke, but have had excellent luck with a 4.6 gal IMS on my '01 XR650R. Fit perfect and no problems. Bought it off Supermotojunkie for $130.

• snaggleXR650

Posted August 31, 2006 - 05:09 AM

Another vote for the Clarke 4.3.

• jbrown404

Posted August 31, 2006 - 05:30 AM

I have had a Clarke 4.3 on my XR for several years now and have been pleased with it. The fit and finish is excellent.

• calxi

Posted August 31, 2006 - 06:35 AM

I like my Clarke a lot, but it's a tight fit with Fluidynes. Requires rerouting the little upper radiator hose that connects the left and right radiators along with a little "persuasion".

• Ian_FE501

Posted August 31, 2006 - 11:03 PM

I've got an Ascerbis Sahara that holds about 26 litres (6 gal), got it cheap so can't complain except..
1) Awkward to remove/replace the LHS upper mounting bolt - the hole in the side of the tank is not really large enough.
2) Bark Buster mounts will probably hit the tank (depends on bars).
3) Needs strengthening where it attaches to the radiators, mine have bent a bit from minor falls as the force is put straight onto the radiators (got a leak out of it too)
4) Tried to get a replacement bolt mount, have to buy the whole kit ($100 AUD) - out of stock until December.
5) I get about 400 kms range

Ian

• oneshot

Posted September 06, 2006 - 10:09 AM

well, i just ordered the clark 4.3.....i wonder what kind of range i can expect....i'm guessing 200 miles on a tank...?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 06, 2006 - 11:37 AM

I have the IMS 4.6 and you can see the fuel level on this tank too and it is red. I too switch to the stocker if I know I am not doing much more than 55 miles.

• qadsan

Posted September 06, 2006 - 11:46 AM

well, i just ordered the clark 4.3.....i wonder what kind of range i can expect....i'm guessing 200 miles on a tank...?

There are many factors that can greatly affect your fuel economy such as gearing, gear choice, jetting, terrain, the way you manage the throttle, tire choice & tire pressure, engine modifications, rider weight, etc. If you're riding extremely hard / fast through terrain that's a bit technical with lots of turns where you're constantly off the gas and back to WOT and you've got your bike geared lower to take better advantage of the terrain, then you'll be lucky to get 20 MPG. With this mind, you'll get less than 80 miles from your Clarke 4.3 in the real world because you'll never be able to use all 4.3 gallons even with using reserve. You can ride that same terrain with the same bike and get ~30 MPG simply by taking things much easier. There's a HUGE difference in fuel economy depending on how you ride. If you're flat out hauling ass across terrain that's more open for long periods of time and doing well at managing the throttle, then you may get closer to ~30 MPG. With the right gearing and mods, you can count on 40+ MPG if you're simply cruising the highway. Getting 200 miles from your Clarke 4.3 is possible, but it's being a bit optomistic in my opinion.

I used to monitor my fuel economy with the various bikes and it varied a lot with the varying factors. The 650R's I had setup for off road use would typically get ~26 to ~34 MPG for the type of mixed off road riding we were doing. My dual sport gets considerably better fuel economy, but the gearing, application, etc, is much different for this bike.

Until you establish a baseline for your bike, I would play things conservatively and count on your tank giving you ~100+ miles of real world off road use and ~150 miles of on road cruising. From there, you can adjust your range upwards as needed once you get a better feel for your bike's fuel economy based on how its setup, the terrain your typically riding, etc.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.