99 yz400 knocking help.....

5 replies to this topic
  • busa4

Posted August 30, 2006 - 06:04 AM

this was my friends bike and he was rinding the bike for an hour with no problems. he took a 30 minute break and jumped on the bike again and rode for another 20 minutes and then the motor started knocking. i bought the motor from him and dissassembled the top end to find the intake valves just slightly tapped the piston. the motor still ran and the valves are not bent. i dont see any excessive wear on the chain guides and the tensioner was rock solid. the chain had no slack when i started to dissassemble. the only thing i can think of is chain stretch or valve adjustment. what do u guys think?

• tom nolan

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:02 AM

It seems like the cam chain might have slip a tooth. Did you verify the cam timing before you disassembled it?

• busa4

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:15 AM

i should of but i didnt. i assumed it had connecting rod bearing failure. wouldnt slipping one tooth change the timing so much it would have damged the valves and the head?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tom nolan

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:28 AM

I had a con rod bearing go bad on me, however, it didn't effect the valves. I noticed fine particles of metal in the oil filter and on the magnetic plugs. Have you checked the filter? OH ! one other thing, when the big end rod bearing starts to go, I noticed that at part power, let's say 1/4 throttle, the engine surges up and down. It is a definite noise you can hear.

• LJ

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:59 AM

Check to see if the sprocket gear slipped on the cam. Make sure the lobes are 180 apart when the engine is at TDC. Do a search on the forum and I think you'll find people who have had the same problem.

• busa4

Posted August 30, 2006 - 08:04 AM

THANKS. i driained the oil and there was no metal particals and the oil was damn near clean. do you guys know where i can get a cheap gasket kit at? ebay has nothing for these motors. i am going to reassemble it and recheck the timing.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.