? about my clutch

6 replies to this topic
  • skwerlee

Posted August 29, 2006 - 09:29 PM

I had my 2000 yz426f on my step up stand today while I was filling and checking the oil level. I started the bike and lifted it up and noticed the rear wheel was slightly turning even though the bike was in neutral. I pulled in the clutch and put the bike in 1st gear and let the clutch out, the rear wheel started spinning as expected. When I pulled the clutch back in the rear wheel just kept spinning away like the clutch was still engaged, it only stopped when I would tap the rear brake or rock the back end down so the tire would touch the ground...Is my clutch not adjusted properly or is this normal? Also if it try to kick the bike while it's in gear with the clutch pulled in it tries to lunge forward. thanks

• skwerlee

Posted August 30, 2006 - 06:39 AM

ttt, can anyone help?

• SpringChicken

Posted August 30, 2006 - 06:59 AM

Was your choke on? When you warm your bike up the choke is usually on. The idle speed is ofcourse higher at this time. The rear wheel should spin w/ this much idle speed. See if the problem is as bad after the choke is off. If so, maybe your idle speed needs to be turned down. If there is still a problem, adjust clutch lever freeplay properly. Either way, it's really not that big of a deal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skwerlee

Posted August 30, 2006 - 07:02 AM

my choke was on when I first noticed the wheel spinning slowly. But the rest of the stuff happened when the choke was off. I'll check my clutch lever free play, thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2006 - 08:17 AM

What you're describing is completely normal, especially if your rear wheel turns freely, and your chain's in good shape. There is normally enough oil drag in the trans to cause the wheel to turn very lazily in neutral, and the clutch will drag enough to appear as if you didn't disengage it.

Clutch drag is excessive at the point where it starts to be unreasonably hard to find neutral at an idle.

• skwerlee

Posted August 30, 2006 - 11:16 AM

What you're describing is completely normal, especially if your rear wheel turns freely, and your chain's in good shape. There is normally enough oil drag in the trans to cause the wheel to turn very lazily in neutral, and the clutch will drag enough to appear as if you didn't disengage it.

Clutch drag is excessive at the point where it starts to be unreasonably hard to find neutral at an idle.

Thanks...thats good to hear! I'm glad it's not something that will cost me out the a$$

• NYMXer

Posted August 30, 2006 - 03:36 PM

Yup, Grayracer is right.............it's just clutch drag and normal. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.