anybody ever powder coat an entire xr engine?

7 replies to this topic
  • sergio808

Posted August 29, 2006 - 08:43 AM

i am thinking about powder coating my 06 xr 650l engine during the winter. anyone ever hear of someone doing it?

• jamestoo

Posted August 29, 2006 - 08:47 AM

why would you want to

• sergio808

Posted August 29, 2006 - 08:52 AM

cause i think an 06 l would look cool all done up like an old l red engine gold wheels blue seat cover etc

• FLTarded

Posted August 29, 2006 - 09:03 AM

Not the entire engine, but the two side covers. BlacK
Frame, rt. foot peg bracket, Black
Swingarm, Rear Sprocket, Lower Triple Clamp, Motor Mounts polished, Clear

Came out great, but keep the harsh solvents away ie. brake clean, carb cleaner, simple green, etc.
It sucks because thats what I used to clean certain parts with, chain etc.
Now I have to find other ways to keep it clean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 29, 2006 - 09:09 AM

It would be unique.

I saw a pic somewhere of someone that had an '03 or '04 with a black engine in a red frame with white plastics, i thought it looked pretty cool.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 29, 2006 - 09:26 AM

Id go ahead and do it. I myself am going with this cool place called Performance coatings, having the sidecases on my Supermoto and desertsled done in their coloure that is like the side cases on the 650R, kinda brown metallic, good to 3000 degrees F, and the pipes on both done in their chromex for the silencer,, and light silver beadblast, which resembles bare bead blasted steel for the headers whihch is also good to 3K degrees. The top end Im doing in satin black for the desertsled and medium grey for the stupidmoto.

• cleonard

Posted August 29, 2006 - 10:20 AM

i am thinking about powder coating my 06 xr 650l engine during the winter. anyone ever hear of someone doing it?

The problem with powdercoating a 650L is the heat. Powder coating is much thicker than paint. It's an air cooled engine that alteady runs hot. If you coat the cylinder and head fins, it will make it run hotter. The question is how much. A few degrees should be no big deal. If it's 50 degrees hotter, then you might have a problem.

• pigryder

Posted August 29, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Hey PM powderman, he ownes and operates a powder coating shop and theres also jetcoat and I think you can get differet colors. It goes on wet and has to be baked, ask him about it :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.