time for more power

12 replies to this topic
  • idiot_on_426

Posted August 29, 2006 - 06:56 AM

i am trying to figure out what i can do to my 01 yz426 to get a significant power boost out of it. i have a jd jet kit, a pro circut pipe. please give suggestions. and i was wondering if i should do a big bore kit, could someone tell me where to get one and generally how much, thanks

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2006 - 09:56 AM

The TT Store sells the Athena Big Bore Kits. People seem to like Luke's Racing kits too.

Otherwise, compression and cams, proper jetting. The usual.

• offthewall

Posted August 29, 2006 - 10:03 AM

I'll agree with grayracer... nothing beats CC's!!!!!!!

• motokid338

Posted August 29, 2006 - 10:23 AM

If you have the money big bore kits are great but there like $ 700

• idiot_on_426

Posted August 29, 2006 - 02:48 PM

hey i have thought about the cam mod, but what is the compression mod?
and do i want a hot cam or a yz450 cam?

• Ga426owner

Posted August 29, 2006 - 04:34 PM

If you have the money big bore kits are great but there like $ 700

no....they start around 350 and go up to 5000...........depending how radical you want to go

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mbraun777

Posted August 29, 2006 - 04:43 PM

Do bore kits shorten the life of your engine? It seems that the bottom end would be worked harder.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted August 29, 2006 - 06:09 PM

hey i have thought about the cam mod, but what is the compression mod?
and do i want a hot cam or a yz450 cam?

I just installed the Hotcam in my '02 426 and I love it. There is a definite power increase in the low to mid-range rpm's and because the mid-range is stronger it smoothed out the power hit when reaching the higher rpm's. I can't believe I waited so long to install an auto-decomp cam :thumbsup: as it is without question the single best mod you can do on that bike and delivers the most bang for the buck.

• idiot_on_426

Posted August 29, 2006 - 06:42 PM

where can i find one for a good or best price, and will this mod allow me to do better wheeli's in 4th or will it make it more difficult since it smooths it out? i need a good snap in 4th to pop the front end up...you know what i mean

• Ranger18

Posted August 29, 2006 - 06:59 PM

your an idiot LOL

• Birdy426

Posted August 29, 2006 - 10:38 PM

Luke's Racing sells 444 kits for about 400 bucks...www.lukesracing.com. Eric Gorr has similar. Opt for the 13.5:1 piston. Hot Cams also help a bunch. That's the setup I have on my wr, along with a JD Jet Kit, PowerNOW, and YZ pipe with PMB insert. I have to run race gas (VP C12) to keep the detonationgremlin away, but the bike sure makes sweet power. It's stronger on the bottom by far, with a pretty meaty hit of midrange, and, unlike the stock WR motor, will bounce off the rev limiter at will.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted August 30, 2006 - 08:11 AM

where can i find one for a good or best price, and will this mod allow me to do better wheeli's in 4th or will it make it more difficult since it smooths it out? i need a good snap in 4th to pop the front end up...you know what i mean

At least you're honest. What I found is that it is even easier to get the front end up in the low and mid-range now...you won't need that higher rpm 'hit' to get it up anymore, and as a matter of fact the whole wheelie experience is better because you don't have the hit to deal with, but that is all just icing on the cake. The real advantage is that with the smoother power you simply go faster on the track and on the trails, the 'lock-up' stall coming hard into corners is eliminated, same thing on nasty, rocky downhills...and best of all: it kicks starts really easy. :thumbsup:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted August 30, 2006 - 08:12 AM

Oh, yeah...look around on Ebay for a good price.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.