Head bearing fix?

12 replies to this topic
  • yam 3

Posted August 29, 2006 - 05:46 AM

I don't know if this will fix the problem with the 06 stearing head bearing seal, but this is what I did last night. I took an old mouse pad and cut a strip off of it about 3-4mm wide, glued the ends together and installed it over the top of the bearing (outside the bearing, and inside of the alumionium frame) and then put the factory "seal" on and finished up as normal. Hopefully this will help seal the bearing better. Use a thin mouse pad or the assembly might not go together properly.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 29, 2006 - 06:20 AM

I am interested in how this holds up...the outside seal is not sufficient to keep the the slightest water out...I have never had steering bearing lube issues like this ever....

• barch88

Posted August 29, 2006 - 06:48 AM

Someone want to inform me on the head seal bearing problem? I used water-proof grease, and never had any issues all year.

• Reyndogg

Posted August 29, 2006 - 06:57 AM

Someone want to inform me on the head seal bearing problem? I used water-proof grease, and never had any issues all year.

I use water-proof grease too, and after 20hrs it gets done again. Not a big deal, just a 30 min job to repack them - I've repacked mine four times already (just over 59 hrs on the bike).

http://www.transworl...1012822,00.html

• barch88

Posted August 29, 2006 - 08:03 AM

I use water-proof grease too, and after 20hrs it gets done again. Not a big deal, just a 30 min job to repack them - I've repacked mine four times already (just over 59 hrs on the bike).

http://www.transworl...1012822,00.html

Yeah, I know about how to pack them and stuff, I packed mine up really good when I first bought it. I only packed them once though, I think I will go though it all tonight while I have the steering apart and grease them, along with the wheel bearings.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 29, 2006 - 09:04 AM

:applause: The issue I am having
- I assume is water contaminating the grease or heat. I am having to repack about every 6/8hrs. I was using Belray now I am using Amsoil - the amsoil holds up much better.My 06 is a pain in the butt to keep the steering bearings lubed over time. I repack a lot of grease into these 06 bearings - at 13hrs it has been done 3 times now, more than I have done with every Blue 400/426 and other 450s I have owned. I even put a lot of excess on top on the bearing below the bearing seal = to keep extra moisture out and for any heat buildup. The lower is more difficult to do this but I get excess there. Even after relube and setting proper torque - after 5hrs or so - the steering will lock while the bike is sitting on the stand for several days....this symptom tells me it is time to repack, (it is not due to too tight or too much torque on the collar nut or steering nut)...and sure enough when I dissasemble 80-90% of all that grease and all the excess has majically disappeared....I do not use a pressure washer or even direct contact with a garden hose there either.....
I do get a more than average amt of grease lines showing up on the top backside of my yellow front fender just behind the lower bearing rear of the lower clamp...after each ride - indicates excess grease - heat must be a issue there as well....more than my other oil in frames older 400/426/450...weird
the damnedist thing I have every seen :thumbsup:
Maybe I will buy a new top seal and see if this helps - mine is not fatiqued looking though....I am considering a silicone bead completely around the seal edge and the steeringhead of the frame if this keeps up.....I wish this was a sealed system with a zirk fitting to inject grease into.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted August 29, 2006 - 11:41 AM

:applause: The issue I am having
- I assume is water contaminating the grease or heat. I am having to repack about every 6/8hrs. I was using Belray now I am using Amsoil - the amsoil holds up much better.My 06 is a pain in the butt to keep the steering bearings lubed over time. I repack a lot of grease into these 06 bearings - at 13hrs it has been done 3 times now, more than I have done with every Blue 400/426 and other 450s I have owned. I even put a lot of excess on top on the bearing below the bearing seal = to keep extra moisture out and for any heat buildup. The lower is more difficult to do this but I get excess there. Even after relube and setting proper torque - after 5hrs or so - the steering will lock while the bike is sitting on the stand for several days....this symptom tells me it is time to repack, (it is not due to too tight or too much torque on the collar nut or steering nut)...and sure enough when I dissasemble 80-90% of all that grease and all the excess has majically disappeared....I do not use a pressure washer or even direct contact with a garden hose there either.....
I do get a more than average amt of grease lines showing up on the top backside of my yellow front fender just behind the lower bearing rear of the lower clamp...after each ride - indicates excess grease - heat must be a issue there as well....more than my other oil in frames older 400/426/450...weird
the damnedist thing I have every seen :thumbsup:
Maybe I will buy a new top seal and see if this helps - mine is not fatiqued looking though....I am considering a silicone bead completely around the seal edge and the steeringhead of the frame if this keeps up.....I wish this was a sealed system with a zirk fitting to inject grease into.....

I have the same issue with my '06.....I'm buying a new seal too and switching brands of grease, currently using Silkolene. I think you may be on to something with the heat issue since I don't recall having an issue when is was cold out.

• yzfireguy

Posted August 29, 2006 - 01:02 PM

We use a 1 part never seize and three parts bel-ray grease for all our bearings and parts that need lubed on the bikes. It gives you plenty of lude plus the never seize gives some protection in the high heat area, but it does make it a little messy. AMF

• Ga426owner

Posted August 29, 2006 - 01:08 PM

I have the same issue with my '06.....I'm buying a new seal too and switching brands of grease, currently using Silkolene. I think you may be on to something with the heat issue since I don't recall having an issue when is was cold out.

DPW - I remember you had this same issue....here in GA it has been high 90s/100 most of the summer and high humidity - this may be the culprit - but other 06 owners I ride with tell me they have no issues - one guy has over 25 hrs on his w/o my issue....it is just strange...
I may try the antisieze tip....it gets old taking this thing apart that much

• Diode663

Posted August 29, 2006 - 07:24 PM

Bell ray waterproof is good grease, but I really enjoy lucas red and tacky, this stuff is so red and so tacky it is awesome for just about anything that needs a greasing. It doesnt seem like it melts with high heat either.

• T H O R

Posted August 29, 2006 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, my steering is really sharp still, no issues. I run Amsoil Water-Proof Lithium high speed bearing grease. Although I ride in dusty conditions not muddy.

• CampCounty4Fifty

Posted September 23, 2006 - 10:17 PM

need help, trying to remove steering head nut. it wont budge. please tell me that I am turning it the right way. (standard: left = loose, right = tight).

I know I know, tried the search found nothing.

anyone have any suggestions. I am needing to repack the steering head bearings.

• Nitroused383

Posted September 24, 2006 - 01:43 AM

need help, trying to remove steering head nut. it wont budge. please tell me that I am turning it the right way. (standard: left = loose, right = tight).

I know I know, tried the search found nothing.

anyone have any suggestions. I am needing to repack the steering head bearings.

Ya left = loose. They are torqued to 105 ft lbs atleast on the steel frame bikes. So they are kinda a biotch to get off. Good luck

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.