Do I need to re-jet?

9 replies to this topic
  • kmalec

Posted August 29, 2006 - 03:28 AM

I recently replaced my stock muffler insert with the ProMotoBillet piece and wanted to know if I need to re-jet. It didnt say anything when purchasing it online, nor did it in the instructions. Just curious cause its obviously larger in diameter.

Any comments would be appreciated.

THanks,

Keith

• byggd

Posted August 29, 2006 - 03:57 AM

A few more facts please.
What year bike?
Are you runing stock jets now?
How is the bike running with the new insert?

• clark4131

Posted August 29, 2006 - 06:12 AM

If the bike's performance didn't change, then don't worry about rejetting. Some things to look out for are, decel popping, lean bogs and overheating...SC

• ARin

Posted August 29, 2006 - 10:13 AM

well, considering the bikes come from the factory in a rather lean condition, i would guess that about 90% of the bikes out there being ridden are jetted incorrectly.

• kmalec

Posted August 29, 2006 - 11:41 AM

its an 2005 WR450, stock jets. The gray wire has been cut and the throttle screw changed to the YZ one. I noticed at idle for only a few minutes the pipe was red hot. I also noticed while reving that when i backed off it popped sometimes. I havent ridden it yet, but I will try to do this tomorrow. How much does the dealer charge to change jets? How long does it take?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kmalec

Posted August 29, 2006 - 12:23 PM

its an 2005 WR450, stock jets. The gray wire has been cut and the throttle screw changed to the YZ one. I noticed at idle for only a few minutes the pipe was red hot. I also noticed while reving that when i backed off it popped sometimes. I havent ridden it yet, but I will try to do this tomorrow. How much does the dealer charge to change jets? How long does it take?

• byggd

Posted August 29, 2006 - 02:18 PM

Stock jets? IMO re-jetting is a must then. Check the jetting sticky at the top of this forum for jetting at your attitude.

• clark4131

Posted August 29, 2006 - 03:11 PM

I havent ridden it yet, but I will try to do this tomorrow. How much does the dealer charge to change jets? How long does it take?

If you haven't ridden it yet, then it's impossible to tell what to do. Bench testing the bike is not an option, you have to be on the thing. Also, taking it to a dealer for jetting changes is a complete waste of time and money. First off, a retarded chimp with one eye and ADD can change jets and would likely come up with a better setting than your dealer would. So here's what you need to do. Go ride the thing and take note as to how it behaves at various throttle positions, i.e. 0-1/8, 1/4, half and full. Come back and let us know. After that, get your manual, read up on the carb and change the jets. Next to filling the tank and putting air in the tires, it's the next easiest operation you can do...SC

• kmalec

Posted August 29, 2006 - 04:56 PM

I rode it, i ran it hard at all positions. It runs fine, no overheating, no bogging what so ever and only a little decebal pop when i lay off, but its not consistant, so im not worried about it. It really comes to life with these mods.

Thanks,

• 25year2stroker

Posted August 29, 2006 - 07:23 PM

If you haven't ridden it yet, then it's impossible to tell what to do. Bench testing the bike is not an option, you have to be on the thing. Also, taking it to a dealer for jetting changes is a complete waste of time and money. First off, a retarded chimp with one eye and ADD can change jets and would likely come up with a better setting than your dealer would. So here's what you need to do. Go ride the thing and take note as to how it behaves at various throttle positions, i.e. 0-1/8, 1/4, half and full. Come back and let us know. After that, get your manual, read up on the carb and change the jets. Next to filling the tank and putting air in the tires, it's the next easiest operation you can do...SC

SC, I'm not putting word's in your mouth, but I venture to guess what you were going to say was "a retarded chimp with one arm and ED could do a better job than your dealer" I trust your new position as mod has not comprimised your ability for the verbal beat down when the situation arises. Look's like you've rolled up your sleeves & got right to work :thumbsup:

PS, Don't forget to change the air in your tire's every 3 months or 3000 mi.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.