Heatgunning an IMS tank

Many of you may not give a flock but I am about 1% into trying to fit a Keihin FCRMX41mm to my beloved XR628 engine. If it comes off I'll let you all know - if it doesnt then I wont tell ya till I can get it working!!!! The issue I can tell is going to be the tank.

Assuming Honda made the XR600 with the intention of being able to accomodate the big FCRMX carby, I dont think IMS did envision such!!!!

I therefore ask you guys who have had to pull out the heatgun for any tips or inside information on how to permanently alter the shape of the lower right hand rear portion of my 17 litre IMS XR600R tank.

Are there any gotchas with IMS plastic?

Does it permantly hold its shape once heated and reshaped?

What should I use to rehape it - my hands or will it just be way too hot?

thanks

• 2 years later...
heat up the tank directly where you want to dent it. use the backside of a spoon to do your shaping. i used to have to do this with ATV tanks to clear bars and dampeners works well.

I've done this on my KTM to get the tank to clear the radiator cap. Just becareful when it starts getting shiny but you should have no problem.

As mentioned above, don't let it get too hot. Shiny is too hot. If it gets too hot it can easily liquify. It can also get too thin when reshaping.

I've done a couple of tanks with the heat gun/spoon method (a good tire spoon works too) with no issues.